WSJ: How to Make the Best Burger

In case you didn’t already know; or, if you did and just needed a reminder.

Just saw this. We grind our own meat and prefer pork shoulder to beef. A 4oz patty is plenty for us. We toast English muffins on the grill along with onions/peppers/whatever. Add cheese towards the end. Assemble using mayo, tomato, avocado, arugula if we have it. “Heaven on earth with an onion slice.” :slight_smile:

I do equal parts sirloin, brisket and trimmed oxtail. I don’t use a grinder, I prefer to hand chop my meat.

Loosely hand form the patty, pan sear on a cast iron pan, serve on Brioche bun, with caramelized onions, mustard and ketchup and I’m good to go.

I also find that pork, while fattier, tends to detract from the beefy-ness that I want in a burger.

I use CI sometimes also. Also love lamb burgers. Equal opportunity burger lover. And now rarely order a burger out. Ours are just so darn good.

1 Like

[quote=“catholiver, post:2, topic:3038”]
We grind our own meat
[/quote] You’re not playing. Love English Muffins.

I like a skillet burger best too.

Perfect. Do you use actual oxtail? I ask because most butchers/restaurants sell cow as oxtails. Cow is very good, but just wondering.

Cuban Chicken Burger. Loosely inspired by the Cubano.

Organic ground chicken (from Ralph’s) mixed w/chopped scallions, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, smokey paprika, salt & pepper, topped w/lightly pan fried Applegate Farms Ham, swiss & jack cheese, veganaise or mayo, yellow mustard, cooked in a cast iron skillet and served on a toasted English muffin.

1 Like

$50 attachment to my KA stand mixer :slight_smile:

As I understand it “oxen” is an old term for a castrated cow that is used for pulling. So AFAIK “oxtails” are cow tails.

Your burger looks insanely wonderful. I haven’t had breakfast yet. Do you deliver to Lake Tahoe?!?

Ahhh… I see. So it’s not a substitute. It’s the same thing.

Thanks for the burger compliment!

Oh yeah. I put relish on this one in place of the pickles. Hubby likes relish.

Oh cool !

Sounds great.

Any favorite mustards? I recently got some Maille mustards but am always on the hunt for yellow october.

Moutarde de Meaux® Pommery®

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_76_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A16310101%2Ck%3Apommery+moutarde+de+meaux%2Cp_76%3A1249146011&keywords=pommery+moutarde+de+meaux&ie=UTF8&qid=1465856328&rnid=1249144011

1 Like

Gracias!

I’m a big fan of Edmond Fallot mustards . I get the small jar 7.4 oz. for $ 3.29 at our local market . I’m sure you can find it in L.A. Mustard in Burgundy | La Moutarderie Edmond Fallot

1 Like

Now are you and @ipsedixit talking about these mustards for almost all uses or specifically burgers.

They probably have multi-uses for it.