Yamazaki 18 year mizunara in LA?

Does anyone know of any restaurants in Los Angeles that are currently selling pours of this whisky?

I appreciate any help, thank you!

Have you tried Far Bar in Japantown?

1 Like

Moved this to the LA board to help get you more traction and notice.

2 Likes

Yazawa might be.

1 Like

shibumi

I don’t see it listed here. I’ll be at Shibumi on Saturday so hoping it’s off menu?

i know nothing about whisky, it’s not the “suntory yamazaki 18” that’s listed on the menu?

1 Like

Mizunara Cask is a different edition and marked as such, doesn’t seem available on the menu at Shibumi (they would let us know). There is a Sherry Cask 2016 available, which is different from the Mizunara which was released in 2013 & 2017. Mizunara Oak is prized for the unique flavors/notes it imparts to whiskey. Barrels can cost up to $6,000 and the Mizunara oak tree itself don’t grow straight and needs to be ~200 years old to be suitable for a cask, making it pretty pricey. Mizunara cask anything (including Bowmore, Chivas Regal, etc.) usually leads to massive aftermarket premiums.

That is one impressive whiskey list at Shibumi regardless.

Quick Edit: Just looked up the prices, Yamazaki 18 is going for ~ $700-$1100 depending where you look. Mizunara Cask (I think it’s 2017?) is currently at $8,500/bottle, and 2016 Sherry Cask is $4,600.

4 Likes

Might be worth calling Inko Nito. They had multiple Yamazakis on the back bar.

1 Like

Looks like Miro in DTLA has it (under “The Vault” section).

https://www.mirorestaurant.com/our-menus#menu=the-vault

1 Like

Also possibly available at Wolf & Crane or Seven Grand/Bar Jackalope.

2 Likes

Article in NYT mentioned a bar in NY called Brandy Library. They don’t have the Yamazaki 18 year Mizunara but they have other Japanese whiskeys in Mizunara oak.

I know this isn’t what you asked for but I bookmarked. Very extensive list and someplace I want to visit on my next NY trip.

Not LA, but Pabu in San Francisco (should you make your way up there) lists the following pours available on their current beverage menu

T H E Y A M A Z A K I
MIZUNARA OAK 2012 | SINGLE MALT $526
LEMON, TART RASPBERRY, LINGERING SPICE
Named for the beautiful Japanese White Oak found in Japan & used to produce
this young, yet elegant, Japanese whisky. Mizunara proves that not all whisky
needs aging in order to be great, this Mizunara was bottled in 2012 and
released to the USA in 2015.

T H E Y A M A Z A K I
MIZUNARA OAK 18 YEAR | SINGLE MALT $330
ORANGE MARMALADE, COCONUT, CINNAMON
Fully matured in casks from rare Mizunara Oak. This whisky created by chief
blender Shinji Fukuyo, was made to be a dramatic, unforgettable expression.

For what it’s worth, they charge $45 for a pour of Yamazaki 12 and $93 for Yamazaki 18.

I’ve also seen social media pictures of Karuizawa being poured at Saison, so it might not hurt to call Angler in Southern California to see what they have for Yamazaki Mizunara.

1 Like

I’m at Otium right now and they have it for $200.

1 Like

I just polished off a fifth of it that I picked up for $37 at Circus Liquor in North Hollywood.

2 Likes

Majordomo has it. I had them open the bottle and I had a pour of it awhile back

1 Like

Miz cask is around 4000~ on secondary/auction