Yang's Braised Chicken Rice Comes To Farmers Market/The Grove

Instagram post worded differently because that has a worldwide audience so I need to explain things about LA that those people are unaware of.

3 Likes

Re-read it. I tend to take things too literally and thought you were referring to all of LA and not just The Grove area. Apologies. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Looks great! Thanks TC!

2 Likes

Damn, that was fast. Cat gif was no joke :rofl:

8 Likes

The only thing I like more than braised chicken is braised chicken down the street! :blush:

11 Likes

YAY! Thanks so much for reporting back… Now I’m even more excited to try what with the Broccoli… :slight_smile: I have a deep love for Brocolli… even frozen and steamed broccoli…

5 Likes

Haha… there wasn’t much to say about the steamed broccoli but I’ll add that it was fresh, cooked perfectly and great with a little braising liquid. How’s that? :grin:

1 Like

HA! I’m such a broccoli fiend, I always add it to my whole food hot bar box. As long as it’s not over cooked and not fried (fried broccoli is WRONG). I’m like… gimme.

2 Likes

Well, it’s very good for you, lol. Do you like broccolini too? I’m not sure if it has a season but I’m loving it lately.

1 Like

Yep! Brocollini is a staple in our home as P. doesn’t abide by my Broccoli love… that is why I’m loading it up on my WF lunch runs… LOL!! It also cooks quicker I think… but I cut it up pretty well…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXzycC5FoO7/

3 Likes

Thanks for posting. I ordered today via Caviar delivery. I have to say it was one of my better delivery experiences both because the food was still hot and not overcooked upon arrival and because the chicken was definitely a cut above the usual fast food type places – i.e., with nice pieces of fresh ginger. I ordered spicy and it was definitely spicy. I might order regular next time because the spice level was definitely numbing and while, for instance, Thai food can never be too spicy for me, I guess I’m less a fan of the numbing taste that I assume was achieved from Sichuan peppercorn. Still this absolutely tasted like “real food” which I think is not easily achieved at quick serve food places, particularly on the Westside.

8 Likes

An update. I decided to order delivery again. This time I got the sweet and spicy chicken. Between that and the braised chicken, I would definitely recommend the braised chicken. It’s not that the sweet and spicy chicken was bad, but it just tasted kind of ordinary – like what you could find at a million okay Chinese restaurants on the Westside. The braised chicken tasted more special and unique.

7 Likes

We just had it. I agree. Ditto on the Veggie Spring Rolls - I like the spicy Sweet Chili Sauce.

We also had the Braised Chicken, Orange Chicken, Broccoli & Rice again. Still lovin’ the Braised Chicken & Orange Chicken. I hadn’t previously noticed the kick in the Orange Chicken because I had swirled sriracha on it. Also, I think my preconceived notions of Orange Chicken tricked my tastebuds into thinking it was white meat, but on closer examination I think they use dark meat in all the dishes. Must ask.

9 Likes

I am thinking of dining there for dinner on Friday. Are the lines reasonable?

1 Like

No long lines. Dining-in for your first time is a good idea - the takeout is good and travels well, but the orange chicken is so good fresh & piping hot out of the kitchen. Enjoy!

Had lunch last Sat.
Thought it was it was pretty good - not amazing but worth going back. A little lacking in flavor and, for the price, expected better chunks of chicken.

One thing - they really need some window shades - it was roasting hot inside with the sun direction through the huge front windows.

1 Like

Good points. I thought the braised chicken could’ve had more chunks on our last order and when we dined in we had to switch our table because of the sun. But for fast-casual it’s some good eatin’!

1 Like

I dined there at 7:00 P.M. on Friday. I was the only customer for most of the duration of my meal.

The ambiance was poor. The restaurant is fairly barren. Unwelcome rock music was being played at an unpleasant volume. The restaurant was far too hot for me even though the front door was open. There was no toilet paper and only one paper towel when I answered the call of nature.

I like spicy food; I usually order Thai medium and Indian spicy, so I chose the medium spice level for their famous signature dish. I personally would label it “medium spicy” because I produced enough mucus throughout the meal to cause me to cough frequently. Fortunately there were no other diners to fear that I had COVID-19.

It was a little too salty for me, but that was my only complaint. I certainly felt there was enough meat for the price and I am glad they used thighs; they were so moist and rich that some pieces flaked like fine fish. I like ginger and shiitake mushrooms and they were quite tasty. The white rice helped sop up every bit of the wonderful sauce of “Grandma’s secret recipe.”

I’ll return, but only when it’s cooler.

5 Likes

Good report. It’s like they’re trying to encourage takeout, but the food - in particular the crispy things - is so much better dining-in. :thinking:

1 Like

I have decided that together with Green Olive, Yang’s is my favorite fast food delivery place. My delivery order took forever because the delivery service bunched it with a bunch of other deliveries and mine was obviously last, but Yang’s uses really good packaging that keeps your meal warm. I really wish every delivery place used that kind of packaging. Last time I ordered from Yang’s, the food came promptly and was at the perfect temperature. This time because the order took so long (through no fault of Yang’s), I wouldn’t say the food was at the perfect temperature, but it was still reasonably warm and at a better temperature than 99.9% of delivery places where the order takes too long.

I ordered the braised chicken rice bowl. This time instead of “spicy,” I ordered “authentic.” Not sure what “authentic” is supposed to mean, but it was still spicy and I enjoyed it more than my prior order of “spicy,” which was too numbing for my taste.

And because after almost 2 years of Covid-carbing out, I am now eschewing grains and rice, I skipped the rice, dunked the plain steamed broccoli in the nice braise sauce and had a satisfying low-carb meal. Happy camper.

10 Likes