Yelp's Best Places to Eat

This is America. Service is the #1 factor in people’s satisfaction in restaurants, it’s not about the food. So that’s what Yelp reviews often reflect.

Also, since this is LA with our horrid traffic, I feel like the vast majority of people stay in their own neighborhood, so the reviews mostly reflect the tastes of the people who live there. Where I’m at it’s mostly a bunch of old people who like their food plain and their meat dry. They get upset when the meat is not dry enough.

There are some communities of various ethnicities but they are small enough that they just talk to each other, no need for Yelp.

Notable exceptions to this rule are places like Santa Monica where you have a giant daytime population commuting in to work, so you get a larger variety of opinions.

4 Likes

Yah, I disagree with that part too @js76wisco. Yelp has a bitch squad that carelessly slams places not realizing they’re costing someone their livelihood. FTCers come in all shapes, sizes, opinions but the common denominator is we like to celebrate food. We want to like restaurants.

4 Likes

I find Google great to find Mexican and other Latin American restaurants, I guess they all have Androids.

Generally Yelp has more pictures, more data, and more power user stuff. You can’t even search for a term within the reviews in a restaurant on Google.

2 Likes

That’s funny.

1 Like

Fixed.

5 Likes

Ohhh I really hate that. When a customer complains, gets free stuff then slams the restaurant anyway. That’s why restaurateurs are terrified and give you the world if you’re unhappy.

same with many influencers on the 'gram

2 Likes

I don’t use it much . I do like it for the opening hours and photos . As far as I’m concerned I take the worst reviews . If there is a lot of them . Buyer beware . This is just not for restaurant reviews . Everybody has a opinion. Just like everyone has a … I’m a one strike your out . Maybe I’ll take another pitch after months go by. Different strokes for different folks. If I like it I’m going back . And you might hate it .

3 Likes

Sort reviews by rating, then skim the five-stars for phrases like “as good as my granny’s” or “just like home.”

The volume is changing, more people are moving to google

Wrongo about the search option

1 Like

I am clearly behind the times. Thank you for letting me know, it was easy to find once I knew it existed. I remember last time when I tried to figure it out a couple years ago the feature didn’t exist.

And then look at some of their other reviews to make sure they’re not shills.

I think they are definitely wising up and improving it. It’s a smart part of the search business

Agreed, though I will read the reviews to see if they’re all the same complaint.

My favorite is when the Yelper complains about the owner being nuts or whatever, and the owner writes a response proving the point. I had a beautiful one in 2009 that I should’ve taken a screenshot of.

3 Likes

If there was no Yelp, we would not have the ever-entertaining and enlightening The Best Of Yelp thread here on FTC.

10 Likes

Thanks. I was meant to be productive tomorrow with our Month/Year close but now I have to read this entire thing. How did I miss

6 Likes

This is very famously how Bludso’s got big - by shilling CH

7 Likes

Really? That’s interesting. I am not familiar with this story. Care to elaborate?
I think FTC is pretty discerning and there are a lot of heavy users that would quickly out any shills.

1 Like

DV: You’re still a young barbecue joint, but you’ve gotten plenty of accolades. How did they start to roll in?

KB: When we opened in 2008 I put some stuff on Chowhound, just throwing it out there under an anonymous name. That got us started, then Jonathan Gold ranked us as one of the 99 essential restaurants in L.A.

3 Likes

from what i remember, Kevin Bludso was trying to tell everyone to come to Bludso’s on CH under an anonymous name. He got called out. But TonyC had already been and confirmed it was good, then a lot of CH’ers started to go and JGold got word of it.

feel free to correct if i got the story wrong.

4 Likes