Your best ice cream recipes and tips

I’ve got some amazing strawberries from Oxnard that I need to use up. I’m thinking of turning them into sorbet. If anyone has tips or recipes, I would really appreciate it!

Here is Max Falkowitz’s version that I have had success with, Strawberry Sorbet Recipe. I have used his ice cream recipe as well, The Best Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe.

4 Likes

Thanks, @ebethsdad! I used your suggestion last night and the results were spectacular. It is the best strawberry sorbet I’ve ever tasted. So long as the Oxnard strawberries are good this season, I will be making it all summer long.

1 Like

You are so welcome! If you don’t want to drive all the way to Oxnard I suggest Tapia Brothers, a farmstand on Hayvenhurst and Burbank. They grow their own strawberries. While you are there they have great corn as well.

2 Likes

The Oxnard farmers make it out our way via the Cerritos and Long Beach Farmer’s Markets on Saturday and Sundays. :wink: But great to know where good strawberries can be found in the LA/OC area!

We love this recipe - mexican chocolate ice cream. So rich and delicious!

We have an old fashioned ice cream maker that you use ice and ice cream salt with to make the ice cream. We like it because the ice cream is ready to eat immediately after churning. We had one, 15 years ago, that required additional freezing after churning. Not sure if the new ones still require that.

3 Likes

Experimented with making an orange sorbet tonight. Maybe it was the recipe. Maybe it was me. Maybe it was both of us. But I couldn’t get it to freeze properly. I used fresh-squeezed orange juice with a simple syrup and a splash of Gran Marinier. I think that was probably too much liquid, and I ran it in my ice cream maker. It never froze enough to come together like the strawberry sorbet. But I get that I had more consistency with that one because I blended the fruit…more substance and less liquid. It was pretty liquid-y when I poured it into the container for the freezer. This one may be a fail. Or one that I fix with the VitaMix if it becomes too solid.

1 Like

Three interesting looking recipes at the end of this article (the book looks intriguing, too):

2 Likes

Where can I buy rock salt? ralphs didn’t have any.

@Luluthemagnificent Pavilions supposedly sells “ice cream salt” but I would call them first.

You’re wasting your :moneybag: if you buy Himalayan rock salt since the salt is only being used to lower the temperature to make ice cream and won’t come into contact w/food.

I’ve read on the internet that kosher salt and plain table salt will work, but haven’t tried it yet.

1 Like

I’ve seen it at Walmart.

There is no walmart around here. My internet search says Lowes and home depot has it, but it’s a massive bag. Can’t confirm or deny. DO not know.

Smart and Final.

1 Like

I did an Instacart search and supposedly Von’s on 3rd carries ice cream salt (aka “rock salt”).

Here’s a screenshot. I would call them to make sure.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Saw Morton’s ice cream salt at Smart and Final West LA on Pico today, 8/15/21 for $1.39 a box (see Aisle 2 at the back end of the aisle, right side).

2 Likes

I made cherry vanilla .

Thoughts???

I haven’t made ice cream in about 40 years. It came out good but it tastes maybe a little bit better than Häagen-Dazs to me. I just followed a recipe from some YouTube woman online. Definitely needs more cherry flavor. I got that rock salt at Smart & final it’s now $2.99 a box.

3 Likes

Maybe check out David Lebovitz I’ve always found his recipes to be pretty reliable!

2 Likes