Your favorite top/fine dining experience in LA?

Melisse was exceptional in the “aughts”.

Now? Like time has passed it by. In a decade or so, it might be whispered in the same hushed tones as one speaks about Taix.

1 Like

As a Bay Area denizen and regular LA visitor, I’d vote for Providence based on one visit. To me it did feel special and my entire party thought it was a fantastic, memorable meal, although the desserts were not at the same level as the savory courses. It’s true that there won’t be many modernist fireworks but that’s a plus in my book. I can’t think of a good Bay Area comparison. I wonder if some of the “jaded” comments are due to repeat trips? I can imagine that going more than once every couple of years would take the shine off the experience.

For food satisfaction, I’d also vote for Chi Spacca, assuming the chef change hasn’t caused it to go downhill (which by most accounts it hasn’t).

1 Like

Urasawa seems like the only place LA has at that really high level you see in other global capitals. One of those trips you would plan out a year in advance. Rarely gets recommended though, because no one can afford to eat there to actually review the place.

Craft & Maude…

I agree with that somewhat. Urasawa is about as high-end as restaurants get. But I’m not a big fan. I find the meal unbalanced and over-rich. It caters to Westerners’ lust for decadence and strays far from Japanese sensibilities. Urasawa has little in common with the most highly regarded restaurants in Japan.

2 Likes

Great point no fucking joke.

Jiro comes close.

sawada will fucking rock your proverbial fucking life.

But at the end of the day what it is is superbly cut fish for the fucking probetbial ages.

And as they say in the fucking industry that ain’t no fucking joke.

Not sure if @beefnoguy is still taking recommendations for fine dining, but just remembered that the Chef’s Table at Patina should be on the list, at the very top no less.

1 Like

y’know, i had a great meal at bastide back in the day. WW I - era madeira. yikes.

Me too, at Sona.

Circa War of 1812.

What just one fucking second ??? You had a Madeira from World War One era or ???

Thanks man.

Valentino in the 90s was a special place.

1 Like

me 2-3-4.

even w/o the WW1 madeira.