Your thoughts on adding a Veggie Burger to In and Out Menu?

You tell 'em, girlfriend :slight_smile: And your description is so good I gotta give it another try. Thanks.

2 Likes

Double-Double :wink:.

Their fries blow. .

1 Like

Anyone have one of these bad boys at Momofuku nishi?

2 Likes

Maybe Cafe Gratitude can add a Filet-O-Fish sandwich to their menu.

4 Likes

I compare In-N-Out to other fast food chains because that’s who they seem to be competing with and it’s that kind of menu: burgers, fries, sugar milk, sugar water. Unlike McDonald’s (which stopped using pink slime five years ago) I can walk in one without losing my appetite and the food doesn’t look like some weird factory product I couldn’t cook at home.

To me the quality of their ingredients is mediocre or bad compared with what I’d cook at home, but I’d probably spend more on the ingredients than they charge for the finished product.

3 Likes

We’re going to be around there mid-Nov. Maybe we could get one. It sure is interesting.

Their fries do suck .

Their fries if eaten within a few minutes of leaving the oil are edible, and once they are no longer hot are not worth eating. The burgers are perfectly ok for fast food, but I have never understood the cult-like status of the place.

But back to the original question - adding a veggie burger ruins the entire feng shui of the place. If someone really wants a veggie burger there, just order a bun with lettuce, tomato, onion and cheese and stuff a bunch of soggy fries inside. Voila.

1 Like

Aww, they’ve reached out to In N Out but they won’t call them back.

SEP 26, 2016 — Hi friends–we need your help!
We would love to get a seat at the table with In-N-Out’s corporate team to work with them on adding a veggie burger to their menu.
We’ve reached out, but In-N-Out remains silent.

After a lot of buildup, one of the most disappointing eating experiences of my life. IDGAF what they do with their menu.

As long as they picked a good one, why not? Though a dedicated carnivore myself, I’ve been cooking veggie for Mrs. O ever since she read “Eating Animals” and decided to stop doing that, and while she has no problem with my throwing a meat patty in with her veg version I’ve found a couple of those I really like. My favorite and hers is the Gardenburger, rather surprising because it makes no attempt to look or taste like meat at all. Eaten all by itself it’s pretty blah, but with lettuce, tomato, cheese and onion and a couple of condiment-smeared buns it’s really tasty. The Morningstar Farms Grillers are more meatlike and pretty good too.

However, trying to get a seat on their “corporate team” is a waste of time; it’s a family-owned business, and they do what they want, period.

4 Likes

As for the In-N-Out menu and whether you love or hate it, I keep seeing Julia Child being interviewed on her 90th birthday, and admitting that she kept a list in her purse of every In-N-Out between San Diego and Santa Barbara. Tastes differ, of course, but Julia has never once steered me wrong.

4 Likes

For it to be vegetarian they would need to add vegetarian only grills and tools. I’d like my sister-in-laws favorite Ethiopian restaurant to serve lamb souvlaki and tzatziki, and haggis, but I will go someplace else.

7 Likes

Ha, good point. Lots of people who are so into vegan/vegetarianism that they think In-N-Out should have a veggie burger would object to cross-contamination.

2 Likes

You should go to Momofuku period. That’s what I hear anyway :wink:.

I read mixed reviews of Veggie Grill. But their cheeseburger is the bomb :stuck_out_tongue:. You have to eat it right away though. It does not travel well at all… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Went to Momofuku Ssam some years ago and it was great!

I went to Momofuku Ssam in 2008, maybe my mistake for going at lunch but it was not great, especially for the price. Other customers were eating great-looking roast pork with buns but they wouldn’t let us order that.

And that’s the thing that I most remember about it! And it would have been about then, year-wise.

Just about every time I pick someone up from the airport, I have to stop at the In n’ Out. I’m talking visitors from the Midwest, East Coast, London, Germany. If they’re not a first-timer, I make sure they know to eat the fries right away.

As far as vegy burgers, I don’t really care. I don’t eat there. But if it was my place, I wouldn’t. Why bother? The vegan hordes can open their own places, and then the carnivores can petition for meat burgers and then there will be madness and chaos. Which actually could be fun. :wink:

3 Likes