Youtiao ~ Where is your favorite?

that sounds intriguing

Which Yi Mei?

943 W Duarte Rd, Monrovia, CA 91016

I went to Yi Mei, the youtiao was decent but a little greasy from sitting around. They were light with a slight chew. The salted soy milk made for nice dipping with the pork floss flavor coming through.

I did think the daikon cake was really nice. The egg omelette was decent, added some chili crisp and it was better.

I went at 7:30am.

10 Likes

Bummer about the youtiao

It didn’t seem like they were day old, just that they sat around for quite a bit in paper bags while the other food items were being prepared. The place was packed when I was there, many people just waiting for their food. But I waited a good 20 minutes for my order to be called. I’m gonna try Yi Mei youtiao again for sure, perhaps a more Westward branch, I went to the Chino Hills branch. No info on the gua bao, sorry.

Also, FWIW, I have had much worse at Canto spots where the youtiao die a slow death under heat lamps and steam tables. And these were far better than the horrible ones at Boiling Point. Those are so dense and flaccid.

I’m gonna eventually try more of these places in this thread, when I find time. I called Li Orient and they will be closed Memorial Day.

1 Like

Went to Fortune No. 1 this morning to grab a jianbing and decided to try their youtiao.

Place was packed on 4th of July, I got there at 11am or so and a small wait. The employee was throwing those exploding fireworks in the restaurant for the kiddos and the service wonky AF, got the full experience today.

Tofu Soup was excellent, slightly smokey taste and nicely balanced. A good portion and the tofu was silky and smooth. It came to the table piping hot.

Youtiao was pretty good, about on par with Yi Mei, slightly fresher and crispier but a tad greasy as well. It was hot when it came to the table. Their version is a little chewier, nice texture, not as flakey and great for dipping in the tofu soup.

Jianbing was damn good! Crispy inside and eggy exterior. They also serve the crepe with youtiao inside, maybe next time although I think I may want it separate.

Wonton soup was pretty darn good as well, the pork filling was super tender and the broth was on the lighter side. It came with quite a bit of wontons.

I was shocked when the bill came to about $16, WTF, I took some food home for later. :flushed: I’ll be back. It is a toss up with Yi Mei for their pork floss salted soy milk and youtiao or Fortune No 1 for their tofu soup and youtiao. But Fortune No 1 got that jianbing. Also, Fortune No 1 got the badge of honor flaming red C in da window :joy::joy::joy: so I think it edges Yi Mei. Tough call though.

Hesitant to post dat badge of honor.

4 Likes

I know they’re known for their Jian Bing, but I really dig their sesame cakes and sugared fried bread. That and a bowl of tofu soup.

Thanks! I’ll check those out. How about the marinaded eggs?

They’re hardboiled eggs, that taste like soy sauce.

How good can they be? And really, how bad can they be. They’re hardboiled. Like hard.

Is this available all day?

I went to Kim Ky today. The place was packed and a high mental fortitude is necessary for bearing this place during the heat today.

Cash only and Lotto @J_L

Youtiao was damn good, super fresh, a bit denser with a lovely chew. This came out of the fryer straight away, very faint sweetness.

Beef stew, decent, tendon was a bit chewy and flavor was mild.

House noodle soup was great with the youtiao. I did mine up with sriracha and hoisin along with lime. The pork kidney was really good, perfectly cooked with awesome texture. After the meats and seafood flavored the broth, it was even better.

I may have lost 10 pounds of water weight during my meal, I was drenched. Full house + hot bowls of noodle soup + inadequate A/C + SoCal heatwave makes for the full experience.

3 Likes

The Bot Chien is good too at Kim Ky

1 Like

AKA every day of every summer in tropical Asia.

Love the anonymity of cash munny. Thanks for the tag!

2 Likes

I was newb status, I didn’t bring a folding fan like the vets there. I’ll be prepared next time.

Cash is king.

1 Like

Cash is king.

But Amazon gives 2% back, so Bezos is my daddy

Not at Kim Ky :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Amazon is quietly upping their prices. No longer the cheapest option around. But then again, Jeff will own the planet in 10 years (or does he already?)…

1 Like

They don’t need to be the cheapest, just the most convenient.

1 Like

i ordered “Chinese doughnut” with my wonton soup out of curiosity.

They were very good, with a light crispness and a bare sprinkle of sugar. Tasted great dipped in the soup.

I took the leftovers home, but found there was an awful lot of oil soaking through once they cooled off. Maybe a bit much for me. I’ve never had these before, so I’m not sure if this is normal.

Little Fatty, Mar Vista