The chef (or one of them) of this joint per his instagram page posts in Chinese and Japanese. Chef is actually from Guangzhou/Southern China per his FB page, and he’s also friends with a rather well known sushi chef in Hong Kong.
There are specific rules, and I’m guessing this place wants to cater only to Taiwanese and Chinese speakers (LOL) and make it exclusive, in some ways more stringent than Sawa Sushi (Sunnyvale) to give it a private kitchen kind of exclusivity and feel (more so than Yamakase):
They only accept: Cash, Venmo, Chase Quickpay. They are only doing one seating a night, and needs 5 days advanced reservations. Chef wants any sushi consumed within 5 seconds of placing in front (recommended way of eating). Any piece of sushi left on the geta for up to 1 minute will be considered wastage (and disrespectful). Anyone who cannot eat raw, don’t come. Please do not ask for items to be cooked. They do not offer sashimi or American sushi rolls, sushi (nigiri) only. Please do not leave during the meal to smoke outside. Please temper your alcohol intake, no karoke rock paper scissors hand games during dinner. If you bring your wine beer champagne whiskey you can only enjoy it after the meal with your dining companions, chef feels that none of these pair with his sushi…thus wants you to spend $300+ for his high end sake. No perfume or cologne in his shop. Every person is limited to 5 cups of 30 mL sake at most (what if you get a bottle? LOL). No children’s menu or accomodating food portions for children. Once you make a reservation, you must put down 50% deposit. If you cancel your reservation, you will get back 40%, the remainder will be used as credit for your next visit, and the rest of the 60% will be a reservation service fee (assuming I didn’t miss up this translation).
You have to accept the rules before making a reservation, I didn’t translate it all.
Looks like chef does a matsutake donabe for a rice course…
Chef also uses Hadate brand of premium Hokkaido uni…it’s cult status at the high end omakase places in Tokyo. I see a box of Awajishima (Hyogo prefecture) island uni as well (Hayato was using them recently). Also a large 700 gram Yamaguchi prefecture giant abalone.
One customer recently got torigai, what looks like aoyagi, and akagai. Akagai comes from Oita prefecture.
So $180 for all these wicked ingredients, probably is not a bad thing. I guess someone needs to report back and determine whether the nigiri is as good as our favorites in town and elsewhere, or whether this place is near the quality of some of Taipei’s best.
If the sake boxes behind the counter on the wall shelf are indicative of his sake menu, $300 would probably be average/low end (aside from Dassai 23). Tatsuriki Akitsu could run $400 or more. Kikuhime Kurogin is already $420 at True Sake, $600 would not be unreasonable or $800. Kikuhime Kukurihime 10 year aged Daiginjo… over $1000 probably. I see Dassai Beyond and they only had one Juyondai Chotokusen Junmai Daiginjo.