2018 James Beard LA Nominees

Most pleasant surprise is Park’s BBQ nominated for best service. I think service at many Korean BBQ restaurants is great but not usually what comes to mind when you think of best service. The bell on the table should be adopted at all restaurants.

6 Likes

Honest question: Does the bell on the table interfere with the ambiance/atmosphere of a restaurant making it seem cheaper? Making the service seem apathetic?

What kind of restaurants would a bell on the table do best at?

As well as headsets…kbbq restaurants deserve lots of credit for this. It may not be what you think of as fine white table cloth dining to type of service, but it’s efficient and deserves the praise.

all of them.

1 Like

I think it’s different for a KBBQ restaurant where they are cooking the meat for you at the table. Much more interaction at KBBQ.

Every restaurant could use a bell.

2 Likes

i guess la mag doesn’t care about culver city

Best New Restaurant
Vespertine, Culver City, CA

more

4 Likes

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I am in a position to help with bringing more bells to more restaurants.
Let me know if you know any interested parties.

#2018ThereWillBeBells

2 Likes

The bells are a Korean thing. There are definitely other places in K-Town that have them, though I can’t recall which ones off the top of my head.

You just have to adjust your mindset as to what is normal, given that as a Korean restaurant, they are operating under somewhat different cultural norms. Viewing the situation under that lens, I don’t think it cheapens anything, but at the same time, I don’t think I’d want a service bell at say Melisse. Apples and oranges.

1 Like

I would say close to 50% of the larger restaurants/drinking establishments have bells.

The buzzers make a lot of sense in soju bangs where you’re in a semi-private room where the servers can’t easily see you.

1 Like