A little help with my LA itinerary (critique and recommendations?) *And now a little update

I almost use Uber exclusively to go to lunch.

Between the time I save pulling out of the office parking lot, finding a parking space, then paying for that parking space (either on or off-site), using Uber feels like I’m actually ripping them off.

4 Likes

[quote=“catholiver, post:59, topic:5336”]
Why would one use it to go to lunch etc.?
[/quote]You pretty much summed up why I don’t want to retire in L.A. - unless it’s a walking friendly 'hood. But really, this Uber concept is brilliant for cities. Before there was Uber my grandma had her taxi vouchers. If one of us couldn’t drive her someplace she would call and they would send one of her favorite drivers. Life is not like that anymore.

Uber Nation!

But not all cities. SF and NYC have great public transpo. I don’t know about other large cities. I know LA is so HUGE that it’s probably never going to work for them.

@ipsedixit, what does an Uber ride to an average lunch destination cost? Please.

Depends where we are going. Generally, roundtrip, 20-30.

We’ve always had bad public transportation. That’s why they let kids get their licenses young. When I lived on the east coast the drinking age was 18, but so was the driving age.

I know what you’re thinking cath, but consider gas and wear-and-tear on your car - a lot of fender benders. It’s not worth it sometimes.

Aren’t all licenses now at 16?

ipse, I can’t even imagine adding $20-30 to my lunch cost. Once a week? Once a month?

Yep, probably now. I’m talking about the olden days.

Depends. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes just once. Sometimes none if I’m not in town, or if I have alternate means of convenient transportation. Or if mom packs me a sack lunch.

I love your momisms.

I guess I’m figuring out that living and eating in LA is pretty much always going to be really expensive. Even $20 times even 3 times a week = $60. $30 x 4 times per week = $120. That would be more than my whole eating out budget for a week. Wow. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

OMG - Huntington Gardens is MADE for kids. Seriously. They have a section just for kids and the fog grotto is amazing and magical.

http://www.huntington.org/childrensgarden/

Freshwater dumpling is not cheap but is way kid friendly and easy. You can also bring your own snacks and the guards are pretty great about looking the other way as you give your child a snack that they need, from home. (Most tolerant in the kids area.)

(And nope, I do not have kids, but I am a very happy aunt and aware of the deets.)

3 Likes

Not anymore. I don’t want to go off topic, but my 15 year old has to do 30 hours of class (online or in person), then take a pre-permit test, then do a minimum of 10 hours with a driving instructor, take another test, and then he is allowed to drive between dawn and dusk, with an adult, until he is 18 and gets a real license,

He and his friends use Uber or take Expo to get around.

Oh good! So public transportation really is becoming a beautiful thing. Love it.

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:10, topic:5336”]
Enjoy your trip to LA! :slight_smile:
[/quote]I almost forgot what we were discussing. You did a great itinerary btw!

This is a hilarious conversation.

Thanks for that. I knew there were/are lots of things like that. And I really approve. So minors can use Uber? Or do their parents have to fund it?

Lots of kids do this now. The kicker is when the parents see a $500-$1K bill for Uber on the monthly credit card charge…

4 Likes

More of the fact that we weren’t around certain areas to try some of this stuff out. I liked some of the downtown stuff, shame we couldn’t do a few things since they were closed.

1 Like

Ahhh… See, I wouldn’t know if these places were right for you. But I always marvel at how many places s/he knows and can rattle them off like that.