A little help with my LA itinerary (critique and recommendations?) *And now a little update

We really like Grand Harbour, but you have to order carefully there. If you were that interested in J. Zhou, my understanding is that it is the same ownership. The Crispy Macau Pork served with jellyfish and marinated cucumbers and the bittermelon with salted egg are both delicious. The squab is quite nice too. We also patronize their BBQ next store quite often. BBQ is cash only.

Would say you haven’t listed any Chengdu, Szechuan, Chongqing cuisine, but maybe it’s not your thing.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the info on some good dishes at Grand Harbour. Will probably try to visit it the next time around.

I was just interested in J. Zhou since I was reading some of the older topics, and people mentioned it seemed to be a stellar place (though I couldn’t tell if it was stellar for the location, or stellar in general).

Yeah, my family doesn’t quite have an affinity for Chengdu, Szechuan, or Chongqing cuisine. Not that we won’t try it, just parents feel there’s a certain satisfaction factor with Cantonese cuisine. And thanks, our trip was quite delicious!

I would avoid both.

For the record, LA has great public transit in many locations. I use the subway, buses, and Google Maps heavily when I’m there, supplemented by Lyft, the cheaper, non-evil alternative to Uber.

4 Likes

If you are going to DTLA, Koreatown, Mid Wilshire, Hollywood, Chinatown, Little Tokyo, Arts District, Highland Park, Boyle Heights/East LA, Pasadena, Santa Monica, USC, UCLA, North Hollywood, Los Feliz, and Thai Town it is pretty accessible. Sawtelle is like a 10-15 walk from Expo Line, but the Santa Monica Blvd bus passes thru with the express at Sepulveda.

East-West buses run more frequent, with one exception being the Vermont bus. So Wilshire, Beverly, Venice, Pico, Santa Monica, and Sunset.