A recent visit

The breads at Gjusta are best in the city for me.

My go to items are:

Prime rib butcher (extra horseradish) - must order
Porchetta butcher
Smoked fish plate (smoked salmon, trout, salmon belly) - must order, the accompaniments are as good as the actual fish, love their pumpernickel bread or any bread they have for that matter
Loaded smoked salmon belly on rye bialy
Pastrami rueben
Romanesco antipasto
Carrot cake (only dessert that is consistently excellent, only pastries are a crap shoot)
Chicken parm
Cucumber, avocado, pistachio salad
Falafel sandwich
Chilli hummus (like crack) - must order or take home with you

Also, ask @Chowseeker1999 @PorkyBelly @Haeldaur @Bigmouth et al what else they recommend.

4 Likes
  • Italian sub
  • Any iteration of their breakfast sandwiches.
  • Soups
  • Steak and eggs
  • Porchetta melt
  • flatbreads/pizzas (request reheat)

Check the daily specials board (smaller board hanging behind the cash register close to the beverage bar).

3 Likes

If you’re staying in an AirBnB, you just bring a cooler and get the larger size of pistachio to-go. Then you have an entire week of dessert and maybe the 20 miles will be worth it. :slight_smile: I do like the hazelnut, as well, but it’s so rich that I only need 1-2 bites. Having had McConnell’s from my local supermarket, though, the taste and convenience factor may beat out everything else. If you go to Sweet Rose, I recommend the corn (if it’s in season) and the mint chocolate chip. I refuse to eat any other mint chocolate chip now.

I can’t eat anything else but the Italian sandwich at Gjusta. It’s not that the other stuff isn’t good. It’s just that the Italian sandwich is AMAZING.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty hard to pick a favorite. The porchetta melt, chicken parm, and prime rib butcher are all outstanding. But if I could only order one item, it would be that Italian sandwich. It haunts me – in the best way possible.

Also, whatever salads/veggies look beautiful and vibrant are usually a good bet. The carrots and the okra are two particular favorites.

3 Likes

If they ever bring back their incredible fried chicken that would be number one on my list. Besides that get the bialy sandwich, baked egg, prime rib with extra horseradish, meatball, and the fucking carrot cake.

I love how this drifted into a gjusta thread.

20170903_180225

7 Likes

Hi @CeleryVictor,

Hope you make it to Gjusta. If so, please make sure you mention you’re part of the FTC Gjusta Club. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

@bulavinaka @A5KOBE @PorkyBelly @Bigmouth @paranoidgarliclover’s recommendations are all great. Here are more pics from our FTC thread if you need more help deciding: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sure I will eventually, even though I’m not that big of a sandwich fan. That meatball looks excellent, as does the bialy sandwich, baked egg, and carrot cake. (Sorry, not a prime rib fan.) This looks like the kind of place where everything is great.

But not the pastries. :wink: Or, at least, not the croissant. I think other posters haven’t had great experiences w/ the pastries, either.

BTW, awesome eating while you were in-town. Thanks for the report. I’ve still been too lazy to order a Rucker’s pie…

Hi @CeleryVictor -

Thanks for sharing your tasty trip.

I live in the ‘hood where you stayed. If you come again and are looking for a good donut try SK’s on 3rd & Cochran. It looks like your basic mini-mall donut shop, but they’re putting out some tasty offerings. I haven’t had a Cronut from Dominique Ansel, but SK’s is yummy and no long line.

During Strawberry Season

I finally went to Bulgarini :heart_eyes:. But for ice cream I’m with you and also prefer McConnell’s & Mashti’s to the new kids in town. McConnell’s has a stand at Grand Central Market btw.

Happy Eating and Travelling!

1 Like

That’s hilarious. I rave so much about Bulgarini that my family was surprised to find - when we went - that it was my first time.

4 Likes

If you like smoked or cured seafood, they put together a nice plate.

1 Like

Gjusta

Me neither but their sandwiches are the bomb!

1 Like

I keep begging them to bring back, at least for Winter, the wonderful split pea with ham hock soup they had a year or so ago.

Is SK open again? They were expanding last time I was there

What?
I just moved back to the ‘hood.
Good for them?

Hi @TheCookie,

Yay! Report back in the Bulgarini thread. :wink:

1 Like

I am not a prime rib fan either. But it is my favorite item on the menu. It is so hard not to order it.

3 Likes

Neither am I, but the preserved fish, salads and vegetables, toasts, and random specials are so very good. As is the overpriced lemonade. I’ve never had a bad experience, even when eating on a milk crate in the parking lot (there’s a big tree and an artsy alley - charming). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But of course my dear. Thought of you as I was writing that.

1 Like

I’ve seen it noted that for sweets, it’s best to stick to the carrot cake, which sure looks great.

Thanks for the kind words! I may have gotten a bit wordy there. :o)

Although I’ve had slices of Nicole’s pies at Bludso’s (I especially liked the Mexican Lime), I’m really looking forward to summertime. As I understand it, seasonal fruit pies and hand pies are where she really excels. Speaking of which, does anyone know if she’s still planning to open her own restaurant in the former Tinga space across from Sycamore on La Brea? I thought that was supposed to happen last year…