Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta

Ordered a smoked fish plate this AM. Salmon belly was nice (center row of fish). Smokey and firm on the outside, moist on the inside. Albacore was my favorite (top row). King mackeral was a letdown (bottom row). Flavor was great, but texture was very mushy.

4 Likes

Thanks @bulavinaka. Oh nice. They have Albacore right now?

I’ve never seen it offered in all the times I’ve been. Did you like it more than the Salmon Belly (which is amazing)? I’ll have to try it next time. :slightly_smiling:

The salmon belly was delicious - no doubt. What I found wonderful with the albacore was how well it took on the smoke.

On a different note, Gjusta had this “date cinnamon donut” in the case. It is more like a compact somewhat dense cinnamon roll with a nice sweetness from the dates, I guess.

4 Likes

Got the chicken parm today when i finally got it the bread was soggy. I think I’ll stick with the butchers next time.

2 Likes

Isn’t that kind of unavoidable when putting a ton of sauce and cheese and such on bread?

It’s because they use burrata instead of just mozzarella. Makes the sandwich a little soggier sometimes than your traditional chicken parm.

Gjusta seems to use burrata in ways how most other places use mozzarella and cream cheese.

3 Likes

Got mine for lunch today.
Delicious. That sauce is tangy and a little spicy.

2 Likes

@CiaoBob you got the Chicken Parm as well? :slight_smile: Darn it, I missed my regular visit to Gjusta last week (busy week). Must go soon… Thanks.

Yes

2 Likes

The fact that you were able to fold the sandwich together is a miracle. I tried a few times and just gave up.

It was taken to go, so they folded it.
Maybe mine was smaller?

That’s NOT what she said.

1 Like

Here’s how to fold a sandwich

2 Likes

Thank you @CiaoBob and @Chowseeker1999 for the reports on the prime rib sand. It was amazing. I was seriously about to order the cheeseburger but for some reason the prime rib stuck out from this thread. Great stuff. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Darn you! I had purposefully forgotten about the Prime Rib Butcher to try and eat more healthy. :wink: Thanks for the reminder. :slight_smile: Glad you liked it.

Based on your seriously thorough posts, I think you are eating healthy - maybe just too much healthy - j/k. Thank you for your contributions - you are the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation of FTC.

No thank you. I rarely order prime rib because most of the time it is lackluster. I more than likely would have never ordered this.

Update 6:

Had a craving for more amazing Smoked Fish so I stopped by Gjusta again. :slight_smile:

And I was hoping to find that delicious looking English Pea Salad mentioned yesterday.

Sadly they didn’t have that salad in their daily rotation when I went, but their fresh salads are usually interesting.

Organic Spinach, Goat Cheese, Pine Nuts Salad:

This might sound kind of plain, but… wow! The Organic Spinach they had was so fresh! Seriously nothing like the taste of packaged “Spinach” you get at the supermarket. There was a really pure, “fresh picked from the ground”-type of vibrancy. Really, really fresh Spinach. That really made the salad. :slight_smile:

And the Goat Cheese was fabulous, as were the fresh toasted Pine Nuts. :slight_smile:

Tuna Conserva Sandwich (Olive Bread, Caper Aioli, Roasted Peppers, Salted Cucumbers, Radish, Sprouts, Tapenade):

It was as sublime as the first time I ordered it! Toasted Olive Bread, really moist, succulent Tuna, the Roasted Peppers, Salted Cucumbers for the crunch, and Radish Sprouts for the added brightness. My favorite Tuna Sandwich in the city right now! :heart: It’s unlike any “tuna sandwich” I’ve had before.

Croque Madame (Sourdough, House-Cured Ham, Fried Egg & Mornay Sauce):

While it might not be a traditional Croque Madame, like most things at Gjusta they just deliver amazing goodness! :slight_smile: The Sourdough (made in-house) is delicious, and the House-Cured Ham isn’t overly salty, but it’s their Mornay Sauce - the delicious gravy-like melted concoction of Gruyere and other magic - that makes this such a joy to eat. :slight_smile: The Fried Egg on top, breaking it open and the Egg Yolk just adds more decadence.

Smoked Fish Plate (3 Selections):

Of course I had to revisit some Smoked Fish. We choose our favorite 3 this time:

Herb Gravlox:

Just as good as the last 5 times I’ve had it. Not too salty, delicate, so fresh!

Smoked Hiramasa Yellowtail:

Just SO GOOD! A deep, but delicate smokiness in every bite. The Hiramasa Yellowtail is moist and not overly salty either. And paired with their fresh Wheat Bread (which is just great crust and pillowy, slightly moist center). Yes! :slight_smile:

Smoked Salmon Belly:

Of course the most decadent, luscious Smoked Fish at Gjusta. So buttery (naturally), not salty, DELICIOUS! :heart:

Carrot Cake:

At some point, I should stop being surprised when Gjusta rocks at something. It defies normal expectations (how could they be so good at so many things?!).

Gjusta’s Housemade Carrot Cake (they just finished it according to the server) is moist, creamy, fragrant, not too sweet, and the nuts are really fresh. The Cream Cheese Frosting is balanced, adding just this perfect counter to the rest of the cake. Probably the tastiest Carrot Cake I’ve had in years! So worth it, LOL. :heart:

Gjusta
320 Sunset Ave.
Venice, CA 90291
Tel: (310) 314-0320

13 Likes

I hate you so much. But thanks for letting me live vicariously through your posts.