Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta

It was seriously delicious. :slight_smile: It made the gourmet salads youā€™d get at Whole Foods or Gelsons look like fast food (even though they use quality ingredients I think). Gjustaā€™s daily salads are so interesting usually.

1 Like

I have dreams about the snap pea salad lol.

1 Like

The Chicken Parm is back! I was at Gjusta Monday and it has deposed the Meatball Parm from the menuā€“why they cannot have both is a mystery (I rather liked the meatballs and hope they return someday). Also sadly gone is the wonderful split pea with ham, replaced by a seafood (trout) chowder.

4 Likes

@NewTrial YES! Iā€™ll finally get to try the Chicken Parmā€¦ if I can resist not ordering their awesome Breakfast sandwiches, Smoked Fish options, or their killer farmers market Salads, LOLā€¦

OK, OK, I really have to try it and resist all the pastries as wellā€¦ Or Iā€™ll have my friends order it if I get tempted by something else and snag a bite. :wink:

1 Like

Chicken Parm sandwich was delicious. Everything about it was fantastic from the chicken itself, bright sauce, melty gooey cheese and toasted bread. Itā€™s not cheap at $18 but itā€™s as good a sandwich Iā€™ve had in LA.

8 Likes

Thanks @js76wisco Looks delicious! :slightly_smiling: I canā€™t wait.

just wish they would bring back the merguez baguette! they really do have too much good stuff

I want to be on that.

I got the chicken parm yesterday, too! The lady who helped me said several people expressed similar excitement at its return lol.

I was there Sunday after Lodge and saw that, but sadly I was too full of pizza to order one. I need to go back today and get one haha

Iā€™m surprised they brought something back that was so popular!

The vegetables I picked up were aces though.

Out of curiosity, what do people tip at Gjusta? 10%? 20%?

20%

I tipped about 10% on my order yesterday. I feel like that might be light but would love to hear some more opinions.

Havenā€™t been back since the remodel and they have more places to stand/sit and eat. It was pretty easy to get seats around 1pm for lunch. Itā€™s a significant upgrade from the upside down buckets. There is plenty of room to stand and eat on the counter near the espresso machines as well.

I tip 20% there because Iā€™m familiar with many behind the counter. I usually order a lot as well, and they do a really nice job packing it all up. They are usually very knowledgeable about the food items too - always have good suggestions when asked. Iā€™ve yet to run into someone there who has cast their bad day on me. Always upbeat, helpful polite and never have screwed up my order like some places (Mendocino Farms still jacks up my order about half the time - even with their new automated system).

1 Like

I also picked up one last night, along with some other stuff. As good as that chicken parmesan is, I think I found a new favorite there - the falafel sandwich. Iā€™ve always passed it up, thinking meat rules the roost at Gjusta. But when you consider the deliciousness of Gjustaā€™s salads and how great the veggie applications are with Travis et al, it should be and is a no-brainer as to how this sandwich would be the perfect way to exhibit the Gjelina groupā€™s hallmark. I fell asleep last night thinking how that falafel sandwich entertained my senses.

4 Likes

Okay, that seals it. Next time I hit Gjusta, Iā€™m trying that falafel.

Ok, ot as crispy as I imagined, BUT everything else about the friggin chicken parm is incredible. Perfect texture on the chicken, awesome sauce with much more of a kick to it than you would imagine, super fresh basil, fantastic gooey cheesy, and grainy, sour bageutteā€¦ just off-the-hook awesome. Horrors of Sausal cleansed from my palate! And the service is so incredible here, I just eyeballed a porridge loaf and got a slice freshly cut with olive oil for free. No one should ever have to endure bad service, or shit food in a city with a place like Gjustaā€¦god damnnnnnn!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCUHTYlk0KH/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

4 Likes

For me, this place exemplifies great counter service.

Why not just service in general?

I generally tip 10% at counter service places.

The servers at Gjusta are super friendly and helpful. Theyā€™ve never led me wrong in their recs. More than once, however, Iā€™ve gotten home and realized they forgot something or gave me the wrong item.

To their credit, theyā€™re always great about giving me a replacement the next time Iā€™m there. But itā€™s reached the point where I now take inventory before leaving the store.

BTW, I tip 10% when Iā€™m taking food to go and 20% when Iā€™m eating there.