Amazing Salmon Belly, Oil-Cured Sardines, Lox, Herring and Rockin' Breakfast! - Gjusta

Not sure if your question makes sense to me.
It seems to presume yelp is something worthy beyond a directory with pix.

Au contraire. I thought that’s what you were suggesting.

I have not tried this yet. SWMBO wanted to try it but this is one of those dishes that doesn’t work to-go. It would have really hit the spot this AM.

1 Like

No idea where you’re coming from or going to but happy travels.

This was almost a carbon copy of what I got. And yes, they give you bread with the Mediterranean breakfast. I passed on the egg. I opted for a loaded rye bagel with lox.

I grabbed a pistachio coffee cake, good but not stellar.

The porridge waffle with pickled rhubarb? was great. Loved all the flavors and balance.

Porridge waffle w/ fruit

Mediterranean breakfast no egg

Loaded rye bagel with lox

5 Likes

I didn’t know I could opt/sub. Are the Gjelina group loosening up?

I guess so, they obliged without any hesitation. Sergio was in the building too with his hands in a little bit of everything.

2 Likes

Gjusta has always been cool with customization. One of the checkout guys told me from the get go that Gjusta was different than Gjelina in that regard.
So, customize away!

4 Likes

I’m here.

Holy fuk I feel out of place lol

6 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

No no. All of the hamsters are just a cover. Remember we have an FTC Gjusta Club that eats here regularly. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness, just dive in and enjoy the food. Consider:

• Smoked Fish Plate (Small) - Choose your own 3 items. Their Cold Smoked Lox is always fantastic. If they have Cold-Smoked Hamachi or the Salmon Belly, definitely get!
  • Prime Rib Butcher Sandwich.
  • Tuna Conserva Sandwich - SO GOOD!
  • Carrot Cake - Legend.
  • Something from the daily changing Market Salads Case.
  • Or any of the things everyone posted about above. :wink:

Enjoy!

1 Like

I got what I now christen as “@Chowseeker1999 Special”

Prime Rib Butcher Sandwich with extra Horseradish.
Tuna Conserva Sandwich.

Yes 2 sandwiches!!!

I’ll post more later but the Prime Rib is one of the best sandwiches ever, like up there with Langers and Howlin Rays.

The Tuna was a let down which I think it was more of a expo issue. I think it sat out too long waiting to be expo and the bottom crust was almost completely soggy

Also I got the anchovy toast.

3 Likes

Anchovy Toast is really damn good. I love fish like anchovies, sardines, mackerel, etc.

Also the Tuna Conserva I think the olive tapenade is unecessary salt imo

2 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Glad you liked the Prime Rib Butcher. Isn’t it amazing? :blush:

The Tuna Conserva: Oh weird. Yah we usually eat the Tuna Conserva immediately when it arrives. I could see how letting it sit around might get the bottom of the sandwich soggy. Bummer. We’ve never had it soggy (I’ve had it about 5 - 6 times).

I can see why you like the carrot cake. Frosting not overly sweet the cake…the cake is moist and filled with nuts and fruit.

2 Likes

Woo! Go @JeetKuneBao. :slight_smile: For your 1st visit to Gjusta, not only the Prime Rib Butcher, Anchovy Toast, Tuna Conserva, but also the Carrot Cake? Nice! :slight_smile:

I have a big smile on my face imagining @JeetKuneBao at Gjusta. I’m so glad that you made it there. Next time try one of the salad/vegetable offerings, and definitely smoked fish. Plus the baguettes are so very good. And the miso cookies. And the soups.

3 Likes

Lol people watching is a fun sport here! But seriously the food is worth it

1 Like

The FTC nomenclature

2 Likes

You done good, sir.
I agree that the tuna conserva is salty . . . and oily. I think all of Gjusta’s sandwiches are best fresh.
The PFR Butcher is indeed great. My one quibble is that fresh horseradish has very little bite. I love the freshness, but miss the wallop that prepared horseradish brings.
Now, you NEED some smoked fish, perhaps a bialy openfaced sandwich with some lox!

1 Like

DEAR DIARY

Vincent, Sandwiches, and Beaches

Whew what a long ass day! I been trying to go to the Hammer to see my boy Vincent for quite some time. I randomly picked up a Van Gogh book at Barnes for like $8 and it was the last one on the table. Of course I been to the Getty saw Irises when I was younger and I know Starry Night but reading that book I became a little intrigue behind the man. His thoughts. His motivations. How he was hospitalized but put out some of the most beautiful art during that time. To turn pain and suffering into something beautiful is true alchemy.

The streets of Westwood was quite sparse today and parking was easy at the Hammer. Fight On UCLA! Jk I have no allegiance I have family who went to UCLA, USC, Stanford, UCI, UCSD, Cal State Fullerton, and Santa Ana College(me lol). Anyways some more Vincent…

Quick visit I don’t give a fuk about the other stuff. Maybe the Monet.

How often am I in this area? Umm I can count on one hand for last year. Why is there almost 600 posts in Chowseekers Gjusta Thread? Why when I read thru Chowseekers threads to I always anticipate the hearts??? Fuk it. If Chowseeker can drive to Rowland Heights or Little Saigon for food, what’s Westwood to Venice?. Wilshire. Sepulveda. Venice. Abbot Kinney.
I throw on John Coltrane’s Love Supreme album in the ride for company. More like John Coltrane featuring God or God featuring John Coltrane. I pull in and there is a spot waiting for me! I love shit like that.

Oh shit across the street is the Mecca!

Arnold, Franco, Platz are some of my lifting heroes. I wish I brought some workout clothes with me and I got my Adipowers in the trunk just to say I lifted at the Mecca. Another day…maybe

You walk into Gjusta and it’s a mad house. I did some recon work on how Gjusta works. I scanned everything but really I came here for that Prime Rib Sandwich everything extra is a bonus. Pulled a number in the 40’s and the gents calling out the numbers said 19! Aww shit this is going to be longer wait than Space Mountain in the summer. Surprise! It went by quicker than I expected. I spent some time reading this thread eye banging the pics. Will I be disappointed?

The people watching killed some time. A few women caught my eye. So the hipster thing…honestly now I don’t give a fuk if some place is hipster or not. Who cares? I assume I absolutely have not too much in common with the average Gjusta customer professionally/socially/politically/etc but none of that shit matters deep down. Just like non-Chinese people at a SGV restaurant. Or when I take a peek at Din Tai Fung’s and I see a whole Caucasian family happily eating a meal. That pretty cool. That’s the beauty of America.

So the food!!!

The Prime Rib Butcher Sandwich. With extra horseradish. I forgot who said to get extra but it was instilled in my head.

Perfect. The seasoning, the beef, the bread, the jus, the horseradish. Stunning. One of the best sandwiches I ever had. Like up there with Langers.

Let me just say…

I respect Travis Lett. Clearly he had a vision a dream and it is now a reality. He probably worked his ass off to get where he is at. This sandwich is so simple and to pull off simple everything has to be perfect and harmonious with each other. How many hours did he spend on each component of this? I cannot find anything negative to say about this Prime Rib sandwich.

Okay the Tuna. To be honest I did not like the olive tapenade in this, it made the sandwich way too salty. Heavy salt is not what I am looking for in this. It is oily too. And the bottom bread was soggy which I attributed to a expo issue. It probably sat too long before it go expoed. I wanted to like it but I probably wouldn’t order it again even if the bread wasn’t soggy. A miss for me. You cant win every hand and you can’t make everyone happy.

Anchovy Toast.
This was great! I love anchovies, sardines, mackerel, etc and to do it well shows some skill. Just like a kohada or saba sushi. How much salt? How much vinegar? How LONG? You bite into this and you pick up on some sweet, on some freshness, than you get a little bit of salt. I would order this again.

Carrot Cake and Cortado. (I assume the espresso is a special Gjusta blend that I see on the counters and shelves)
The frosting is not overly sweet which I like but really the star of this is the cake part…moist and filled with nuts and fruit. At first I didn’t see the carrot cake so I asked and they brought one out. The guy at the counter said, “they pretty much have it everyday”. This would be even better if it was slightly warm as the heat will bring out some flavor and aroma of the nuts.

Tables are hard to come by but plenty of room near the coffee bar. It’s standing but one of the workers brought me a stool.

So what do I think? It’s some damn good eating. That Prime Rib sandwich! I’ll have to comeback and get a small plate of the smoked fish and breakfast bialy or whatever you guys recommend I trust you like JL does with Shunji.

Had to go to Abbot Kinney and pickup a yoga mat carrier sling thingy at Mystic but I am so damn close to the beach.

Pastel Skies Across
Monet like,open Doors for
Los Angeles Night

That’s a haiku…I think

16 Likes