Any great Live Jazz venues around L.A.?

Near LA and has jazz and acceptable food - Jazzville in Palm Springs (Thursday nights) and Macallans Pub in Brea (bad website for music listings, only has food).

A space I do some programming at, 2220 Arts + Archives, frequently has jazz programming (along with other types of improvisational and experimental music, film, dance, poetry, etc.) https://www.2220arts.org/

A jazz programming collective called Just Jazz holds events at 2220, among other places around town. https://www.instagram.com/justjazztv/

(FYI, it’s the former Bootleg Theater – there’s no food service there).

I haven’t been, but ETA in Highland Park has been hosting jazz – and I know that space serves food. It’s a tiny space though.

7 Likes

Almost all the main members of that jazz collective have their own albums btw. Cameron Graves first album sounds most like what they sounded like back in the day at the Piano bar.

Miles Mosley the bass player’s album Uprising is fantastic too more jazz/funk. Tony Austin has been doing a lot of producing music from what I understand too.

2 Likes

Back at it. Front table. Makachi Whitson in the house. Come on!

7 Likes

Sex_Pistols_-_God_Save_the_QueenSex_Pistols_-_God_Save_the_QueenSex_Pistols_-_God_Save_the_Queen

How about the Jazz Series at the Hollywood Bowl. Nothing better than a nice box, great food and wine under the stars.

1 Like

different experience for me than a proper dark jazz club with loud music and stiff drinks. Like the difference between coffee and coffee flavored beverage. no diss though, i love going to the bowl but it’s not immersive… .same reason i’m not going to chapelle there next weekend

$NB Nemroz Bucks pop quiz
Every drink ordered last night cost $16 before tip. So I tipped 16.16.
How many drinks were ordered?

5 Likes

5? :rofl::sunglasses:

2 Likes

premise 1: nemroztips 14%

drinks ≈ tip / nemroztips / (drinkcost * tax)

drinks ≈ 16.16 / .14 / (16 * 1.095)

drinks ≈ 6

3 Likes

awesome waffles!

3 Likes

i seem to have a reputation of being cheap lol… no it was 5. i’m only stingy when they’re dicks

5 Likes

I am. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Have fun!

1 Like

how was it? the lineup was crazy! hope you loved Deon Cole

1 Like

We’re actually going tomorrow. Can’t wait. Last time we saw him was years ago at The Wiltern.

1 Like

I might try to see Kamasi here on the east coast. It’s only $50 for GA in DC or $200 for the Roots Picnic in Philly! Birdland, Village Vanguard, Blue Note all still have shows. Coltrane’s house in Philly is barely kept.

I wish I went to the Blue Whale more often.

3 Likes

Kamasi puts on a great show and he has some of the best young musicians working with him. He played for Gerald Wilson in 2005 and you can see some of that influence for sure but he also brings a new energy to Jazz as well. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Oh fam. You were there for the drama? Dude got stomped !

4 Likes

Cray Cray! Incredible lineup! Jeff Ross, Leslie Jones, Earthquake, Sebastian Maniscalco, John Stewart, Michelle Wolf, Jimmy Carr, CHRIS ROCK slayed it! Jabbawockeez. Chappelle!!!:heart_on_fire: Dave starts his encore and dude runs across the stage and tackles him!!! Dude gets dragged back stage and Jamie Foxx & Busta Rhymes run on stage to help Dave! It was unreal! For the finale, lol, Mos Def & Talib Kweli’s Black Star brought down the house! It was a wild ass night!

P.S. We sat in a box and consumed Spanish wine, French champagne, Uovo & charcuterie… the antithesis of the smokey jazz/comedy club, lol.

9 Likes

i heard will smith made an appearance too…

6 Likes