Any interest from the LA board in moving to HO?

That’s what it says on the FO board about this topic. Not my words. I don’t mind the occasional f bomb and the lively discourse on the board.

Oh okay. But what’s “FO”?

Sorry meant HO

Oh okay. I thought it was me. I’m mostly ignorant to social media acronyms :slight_smile:.

Okay. So I just checked out HO. Cute name. Not much happening on California boards. A lot of 0 responses to questions. I didn’t find a lot that is interesting in Home Cooking either. Merging would be kind of cool though.

Side bar: I can say chowhounding or food talking, but hungry onioning doesn’t really flow :relaxed:.

1 Like

Yup which is why I think much of HO sees FTC as an LA only board. I like both sites but I also know it probably takes a lot of time and commitment from the mods/owners of the sites to keep them up. I have no problem with trying to merge so Robert isn’t paying out of pocket to keep these sites up for us.

2 Likes

Hello dear Food Talk People…

I come to you from Hungry Onion…I use to also be a poster on the other site (which I refuse to call by name). I will admit I changed my handle from the original site, to HO, to here. Perhaps some of you will figure out who my other identities were if you do, let’s keep it a secret.

This thread was posted and linked to over at Hungry Onion, I also see that there was even earlier talk of a merger of some kind back in September, before I joined HO. Seeing as the owners of both sites, HO & FTC, have left these threads open and in public view makes it seem there is still some interest, or at least an open mind to everyone having these discussions.

I had read that there was some concern over HO not having an LA specific board, that has been changed. There is now more of a LA/SoCal specific board…that should help a little. There isn’t a lot of activity there because it seems we have two sites with two different base of users. Obviously FTC is heavily West Coast focused, and that’s a great thing.

Personally I fail to see a downside of the participants of each joining forces and creating a stronger base for us all to enjoy.

Well I just stopped by to say hello to some old familiar names, throw my hat in the ring for a vote of support for some form of a merger. I have -0- official status at HO or here…just trying to help facilitate a transition if there is truly an interest by all parties involved.

Good seeing you all…I wish you only the best eats and drinks. Let the Food Talk continue!!

Regards,

7 Likes

Seems like they don’t really like our style.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/food-talk-central-debates-move-to-ho/5259

I’m not sure a couple people speak for an entire site. Even in this thread there are members here who are critical of HO or the members there, that’s only natural, and it doesn’t negate the fact a consolidation would only improve the over all experience for all those involved. Just my $ . 02

3 Likes

[quote=“Ns1, post:55, topic:3497”]
Seems like they don’t really like our style.
[/quote] Okay, so that was funny. You’re right… they don’t seem to like us. I found their posts amusing anyway.

What was really funny is they think we have too much conflict with each other. But got into an argument amongst themselves discussing said issue.

1 Like

Very good point. It’s easy to think one vocal person’s opinion represents many. For example, based on the chatter on FTC and HO about being banned/suspended from CH, I’d initially thought it was widespread but it turned out to only be a handful of people.

1 Like

Very true @hyperbowler.

FTC can be the “Moonstruck” of the food chat sites to me. At times, drama can be layered on drama, once in a while sprinkled with slight - most of the time regretfully after the fact - snap out of it!

Like a full moon, food does crazy stuff to us - passions run deep. Conflict and bewilderment can be perceived by viewers as crazy - we are. The lunatic former brother-in-law drops by occasionally and stirs things up even more, leaves out the back door and the dust settles. And I think we’ve learned to kiss and make up too, just like any crazy over-the-top family. La Bella Luna ahh-oooooo!

4 Likes

OMG! Who are you? :heart: :heart:. One of my favorite need to escape and feel good movies!

P.S. To stay on food topic. Because of “Moonstruck” I make fried eggs in a hole w/peppers for the family all the time.

3 Likes

I’m with you - bty, I’m not WCG

1 Like

“Someone tell a joke…”

3 Likes

Is the “drama” playing out on regional boards, esp. LA? I don’t follow that one so don’t see conflict.

If you haven’t noticed it, this may be because we are so good at kissing and making up? :wink:

Seriously - minimum, folks tolerate each other. Almost everyone seems to get along. There’s an occasional stray remark that gets conflated, but all usually ends well.

A couple of dust-ups and disagreements have ended in posters leaving - I believe by their choice. But this is the exception by far. The most obvious one is when the kevin/F-bomb fiasco grated a lot of nerves. Jessejames is another that I recall. Possibly the most recent is Porthos. It’s sad that some feel no other way than to leave in order to resolve issues. Whether it’s bowing out so as to cause less conflict, not willing to compromise (seems very popular lately) or possibly using this method as a weapon of sorts - each of these posters are missed. But I think a sense of humor goes a long way, along with just chilling out. This doesn’t have to and shouldn’t be so serious.

Because Robert and ipse have bushels of patience and tolerance, no one has been thrown off the island. I think because of this level of flexibility, we as a group feel more at ease, to keep things pertinent and relevant, yet fluid, interesting (at least to most of us) entertaining.

Excessive and targeted moderation (damned demagogue CH mods) was a major factor in killing the love of CH. That is the last thing we have to be concerned about here.

5 Likes

Thanks for a super narrative.

I did notice that Robert and I could sanely discuss dull knives without picking them up and going after each other :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes - I read that thread. It could have easily devolved into a piss-fest, but because TWO grown reasonable adults were having the conversation, each was able air opinions and experiences, rather than slice at each other’s shins and have mods delete and reprimand.

2 Likes