April 2018 Weekend Rundown

it’s more of a Viet/Chinese style; I consider Newport Seafood (and it’s copycats) more Vietnamese than Chinese.

3 Likes

@TheCookie While I’ve not had Jamaican goat curry, I can tell you about Vietnamese goat curry. I think the common denominator for both is the usage coconut milk. The Vietnamese version has spices and lots of tumeric…it reminds me of a cross between Thai curry and Indian curry. The broth for Vietnamese curry is a probably more liquid-y and not as thick as Indian curries.
Now that’s an interesting notion. Who invented curry?

2 Likes

Great stuff @attran99.

I’m sure they would use coconut milk in the Jamaican version. But IIRC it was less liquid-y too. It was like a rub and a little sauce. It was traumatizing for us kids though. We had played with that poor goat all week.

P.S. I absolutely loved eating in Vietnam! I :heart: how every day started with a discussion on where we were going to meet for our communal meal.

2 Likes

A5 Wagyu and pork katsu sando

4 Likes

Chiu Chou

I originally thought so too but then went to Seafood Village which showed me what real Chiu Chow cuisine looked like.

There are different variations of Chiu Chou cuisine, and really, unless you order particularly at Newport you’ll go away thinking you ate at Full House or something of that ilk.

meh, when I see french cubed beef i consider that a Vietnamese restaurant.

YMMV.

Hi @TheCookie,

Thanks. :slight_smile: I think ns1, ipse and everyone are probably better versed with the style, a Vietnamese / Chinese or Chiu Chow hybrid.

1 Like

I see that. I wonder which one of them is correct… :grin:

The correct answer is probably Chiu chow-Vietnamese

2 Likes

In Fullerton without car for a conference at CSUF. Took a breakfast burrito detour to Shorty’z this morning. Monster burrito stuffed with hash browns, scrambled eggs, choice of meat (bacon for me), and cheese. I added avocado. Hearty without being greasy. Great service, fast food ambience and quickness, well priced.

7 Likes

Shorty’z is pretty legit for breakfast. I’ve been in a few times. Their chili cheese omelet is also solid. For burgers in that area, I prefer PK or Brea’s Best (both pretty far from CSUF with no car). Shorty’z isn’t bad, but I didn’t think it was great. DO NOT go to BC burgers on Placentia and Bastanchury. No bueno in my experience.

If you’re up there again. Mr. Katsu a little bit further down Yorba Linda Blvd. has great Katsu sandwiches.

3 Likes

Gwen

I should have called and confirm but they only serve the sandwiches until 1430. So come early, because when I came in the meatball sandwich was sold out.
I really wanted the meatball! So I got the Grinder.

Now I do like the Godmother, but I wouldn’t go out of my way for it. The Grinder at Gwen is a tribute and was inspired from the Godmother. It is an improvement!!

No bread slippage here, the bread supports the meats, veggies, and sauce. It’s not crusty but not limp.

What really makes this sandwich good is the cured meats contrasted with the sweet peppers and pickled onion. Well balanced and very tasty. Give it a try!!

Will be back for the meatball.

I can’t believe I used to watch Take Home Chef!

Echo Park Quesadilla Cart

Got the corn fungus and another one with squash flowers mixed with chorizo/potato (add $1 to mix). Added some cactus and salsa.

At $4 for a quesadilla, it is one of the best damn things you can get at that price point.

Fri, Sat, and Monday only.

10 Likes

Sweet & sour ribs while waiting for entrees, sippin’ on peach smoothie, at Din Tai Fung Century City…

7 Likes

Was not a fan.

1 Like

Thanks for the rec! I’m here until Sunday so Mr Katsu is on the list.

1 Like

Where you there today? If so, so were we!

Next time try the chicken soup at DTF!!

1 Like

Uh, I BEEN buying that stuff by the GALLON for years, yo.

1 Like