August 2018 Weekend Rundown

Summer weekend in full effect:

Superba stone fruit crostata & kouign amann, at Balconi Coffee Company (Sawtelle Japantown)…

Salt Roasted Spot Prawns (head-on spot prawns, seasoned rock salt, coctel sauce), at Bar Caló (Echo Park)…

New dish from the kitchen: Summer truffle & steamed Hokkaido bafun uni gohan, at Shunji Japanese Cuisine (West L.A.)…

Fried egg & bacon sandwich (cage-free fried egg, cheddar, bacon, harissa aioli), tomato bisque, peach blossom iced tea, at Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea at the Mayfair Hotel (Westlake)…

Special Bolognese udon, miso carbonara udon, assorted tempura, fried calamari, negitoro mini rice bowl, at Marugame Monzo (Little Tokyo)…

Chef Erven’s cheddar kimchi biscuits, served with smoked apple butter, at Rapphannock Oyster Bar (ROW DTLA)…

Golden mural, Pico Boulevard…

20 Likes

Damn I want all of that.

Wait did you eat all of that at Marugame Monzo?

I’ve done a udon bowl at Marugame then bang bang with Hayashi Rice at Suehiro on a very empty stomach but not 2 udons bowl, a small rice bowl, and tempura damn!

Euro Pane for lunch today. The egg salad sandwich is my second favorite egg sandwich (first is the banh mi trung at Saigon Bakery). I’m boring and get it on sourdough.

I’m not a French Dip expert, but I love theirs. I actually like dipping the bread with the tomato paste from the egg salad sandwich in the jus. So good.

Dinner was just takeout Hawaiian from Island Hut in Lomita. Teriyaki short ribs with Chinese chicken salad and mac salad. Nothing amazing, but it did its job.

15 Likes

Xi’an Kitchen

Biang Biang
Wonderful “Q”

Dumplings in Broth
Love the Vinegar - Ma La - cilantro - sesame flavor profile of the broth

11 Likes

The Rapp Burger: Double meat, double cheese, smoky sauce, pickle, served with Old Bay fingerling potatoes… This masterpiece is Chef Nick Erven’s absolutely scrumptious creation at Rappahannock Oyster Bar at ROW DTLA!

6 Likes

Kagura Torrance

Mille feuille shiso cheese katsu :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Look at dat moisture level :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

And dat chawanmushi so good. :heart_eyes: really delicate and clean flavors.

11 Likes

Ten-Raku

The menu at this K-Town Korean BBQ restaurant seemed promising. Premium cuts of meat, many cuts that mirrored Park’s or Gwang Yang BBQ; we were excited to find another KBBQ joint to add to the rotation. :slight_smile:

Dipping Sauces (Sesame Oil added afterwards):

Complimentary Banchan:

They offered 5 different types of Banchan (Small Side Dishes), and they tasted rather straightforward, nowhere near as good as Park’s BBQ’s amazing Banchan.

Preparing to grill.

Combo C:

Premium Boneless Short Ribs (Ggot Galbi Sal):

This looked great, well-marbled, and they pulled it off the grill for us fast enough to be medium. Sadly, it was slightly chewy, lightly fatty and just a long ways away from the great versions at Park’s BBQ and the even better one at Gwang Yang BBQ. :frowning:

Kobe Style Premium Boneless Short Ribs (Kobe Ggot Galbi Sal):

This was even more marbled and the waiter said it was their “best cut!” This was only a marginal improvement from the regular Premium Boneless Short Rib, still surprisingly chewy with some gristle and just nowhere near as tender as what we had at Park’s or Gwang Yang. :cry:

Steamed Egg:

The C Combo came with a Steamed Egg side dish. This was tasty; nothing spectacular but just fine.

Prime Outside Skirt Steak (Ahn Chang Sal):

This was even chewier and full of gristle. :frowning:

Prime Brisket (Cha Dol Bae Gi):

Filet Mignon (Ahn Shim):

I’m not quite sure how you screw up Filet Mignon, but if you were ever curious how Filet Mignon might taste overcooked and chewy, look no further than Ten-Raku. :frowning:

Doenjang Jigae (Korean Soybean Paste Stew fused with Assorted Vegetables and Soft Tofu):

A decent version, but not as funky and soulful as the version at Soban.

Premium Rib Eye (Ggot Dueng Shim):

It is rather shocking to see how those amazing Korean BBQ Meat Scissors can be used to break down a Rib Eye Steak in seconds…

And while it looked great and had us salivating as we were waiting, sadly Ten-Raku’s Rib Eye Steak was surprisingly flavorless, tough and chewy. :sob: Park’s was better, but both were no comparison to Gwang Yang’s version (which actually had some beefy flavor, was tender and enjoyable).

Ramen (Korean Style Ramen):

For some reason Combo C also came with a free Ramen side… and while it might be a cultural thing to enjoy Instant Ramen (in the (in)famous Military Stew), seeing their “side of Ramen” arrive as a bowl of hot soup with a package of Instant Ramen was rather underwhelming. :expressionless:

Beef Tongue (So Hyuh):

Sadly as bad as the version we had at Gwang Yang was (and one other place earlier this year). I’m thinking Lengua just doesn’t work well in a KBBQ preparation. Just tough, chewy and bland. Even though it’s sliced so thin. :frowning:

Octopus (Nakji Chul Pan):

This was our favorite cut of the night. The Octopus was slightly chewy, but still tender enough and had a pleasant light brininess.

Beef Large Intestine (Dae Chang):

This was terrible: Extremely chewy, inedible. We tried it lightly grilled, grilled-to-super-crisped-edges, and inbetween, and every version of this dish ended in us spitting it out (so chewy it could not be eaten). :sob: (@Xochitl skip this version.)

In the end, Ten-Raku ostensibly has similar cuts of meat as the other top Korean BBQ restaurants around town. However, every single cut ended up overly chewy, flavorless (lacking any beefiness), and were nowhere as enjoyable as Park’s BBQ or Gwang Yang BBQ. Both Park’s and Gwang Yang BBQ remain our favorites (and both had better ventilation systems as well).

Ten-Raku
4177 W. 3rd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90020
Tel: (213) 380-8382

Sau Can Tho

We were really excited to try this place thanks to @ipsedixit who mentioned Sau Can Tho serving Vietnamese Baked Catfish, and it was much closer than Little Saigon from the Westside, so off we went. :slight_smile:

Water Spinach Stir-Fried with Shrimp Paste:

Delicious! :slight_smile: Funky, with a pleasing oceanic backnote from the Shrimp Paste, and tender Water Spinach.

Cha Gio (Vietnamese Crispy Pork Spring Rolls):

Pristine, clean greens accompanied the Vietnamese Egg Rolls. The Cha Gio arrived piping hot and slightly crispy (which was great). :slight_smile: However, they weren’t as crispy and crunchy as Golden Deli’s version, nor as good as Vien Dong’s version (now shuttered).

Phong Dinh Baked Catfish (Ca Dut Lo Hau Giang):

This was a massive dish (more than enough for the 3 of us). :slight_smile: Accompaniments:

Love this Fermented Shrimp Paste Sauce:

Rice Paper:

This was really convenient! We’re used to being given a wide bowl of warm-hot water, and we dip the edges of this Rice Paper to soften it, and then add the ingredients.

However at Sau Can Tho, they’ve built this contraption where you just slide a sheet of Rice Paper vertically(!) and can easily wet all the edges. :open_mouth: (@Ns1 @attran99 is this common?) :sweat_smile:

So you wet the Rice Paper to soften it, add some Baked Catfish, some Greens / Herbs that you like, and enjoy with that Fermented Shrimp Paste.

This was pretty tasty and we demolished the entire Baked Fish. :slight_smile: It was nicely seasoned (not too salty), with only a barely there muddiness to some parts of it, but generally a clean tasting Baked Catfish.

However, compared to the 8 Courses of Fish (Nhu Y Ca 8 Mon) that a friend of mine took me to years ago in Little Saigon, Sau Can Tho pales by comparison. The one at Nhu Y Ca 8 Mon had crispy skin, and more flavor, and the interior meat was more tender. It looks like that place is closed now.

(If anyone has more suggestions for great Vietnamese Baked Fish restaurants, please let me know. :slight_smile: Thanks.)

Sau Can Tho was a fun experience for us: Being able to build your own Spring Rolls with some tasty Baked Catfish and a dash of Fermented Shrimp Paste made for an enjoyable dinner. :slight_smile: There was too much food for us to try anything else on the menu, but we might be back to try the Alligator and Kangaroo(!). Or not.

Sau Can Tho
8450 Garvey Ave., #103
Rosemead, CA 91770
Tel: (626) 307-8868

4 Likes

Just go to Favori in Santa Ana already. Pro tip: don’t look at the carpet. Don’t look at any of the decor actually.

Go on a weekend night for the full experience.

2 Likes

X 2 go to Favori!!!

The Baked Catfish has the crispiest skin I ever had.
One of the top iconic dishes in Little Saigon.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ns1 @JeetKuneBao. :grin:

Uhm, why a “weekend night for the full experience”? :sweat_smile: Is there open Karaoke competitions or something while eating?! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’ll probably be packed to the gills and much more uh lively. The people watching is bettter.

2 Likes

@Chowseeker1999 +1 on Favori. Though, my family usually hits up the family restaurant when we’re in the mood for baked catfish instead. Also I have seen that rice paper contraption before…my Mom had me buy her a set a few years ago when she discovered the same thing while dining out. It does work and takes up less space on a loaded table.

1 Like

None of these are in LA, sorry.

Breakfast at Cheeky’s in Palm Springs this morning. Crispy cod cakes with smoked salmon and dill buttermilk sauce. Really good, but I wish there was more cod. The cakes were mostly potato.

Dinner was at Grande Ole BBQ y Asado in San Diego, which I’ve been wanting to try for a while now. I LOVED the brisket. The pulled pork, potato salad, and spicy slaw were really good as well. Unfortunately they ran out of hot links, so more reason for me to go back.

12 Likes

Howlin’ Ray’s office lunch for the gang…

6 Likes

Heart healthy diet of choice!

You hiring?

1 Like

I, too, can be a good low-level coffee boy who will pledge my loyalty.

A trip to sea harbour…

IMG_1511

7 Likes

That har gao looks very good. Nice skin.

2 Likes

Cream Pan (Tustin)
No trip to the OC is complete without a stop here. It was late afternoon, so the house cream pan was gone. Picked up a tray of strawberry croissants and a custard pudding. The custard pudding should have been called flan…it was both creamy and light, and the bottom did have the burnt caramel. It was okay…a nice attempt at flan, but not my favorite.

4 Likes