August 2018 Weekend Rundown

Howlin Rays

First time back since the expansion. Didn’t see Johnny or Amanda on that day. I was told Johnny was at some meetings for a future Westside location.

Even without Mom n Pop, the hospitable service was still in full effect. Chicken wings and pickles were given gratis. If you can sit at the counter! The energy is fun and staff is extroverted and charismatic. As for the line about 1.5 hour wait starting from in front of LASA.

The sandwich as always was excellent.

“Dressed up” Collard Greens.

One thing to note is Howlin Rays has a secret menu of loaded fries and sandwiches created by the staff.

5 Likes

Can you tell me more???

Stopped by Qing Dao Bread.

Handmade.

Got the Sole Fish and Leek Dumplings. Comes with a little garlic sauce. I thought these were well made, the skin and the filling. Maybe more on the light side.

Yes you can buy a bag for home!

Jim’s Bakery

Of course I had to get…

Slightly warm. Both were great but I think I like the Portuguese slightly more. Both are better than most dim sum places around the area. Probably my second favorite behind Golden Gate Bakery in San Francisco.

Noodle Boy

Shrimp Wonton Noodle Soup with Fish Balls.

The broth is very good and not overly salty. Good seafood aroma from the bowl and the kitchen. Noodles stayed chewy. The fish ball was okay. The wontons were large and filled 3-4 shrimps. Pretty good.

Hong Kong style Zha Jiang Mien. Completely different flavor profile than the Chinese and Korean-Chinese versions. This leans more towards sweet and a little spicy. Tomatoey, in which I didn’t mind as I am a big fan of a plate tomato beef over rice.

I think I was being trolled as they said you can dip or add the wonton broth with the ZJM noodles. Come on I know I am an ABC but don’t play me. I could be wrong.

Service was meh but I didn’t really expect much in that department to begin with.

5 Likes

Yes!

Mario Fries…Hot Chicken, Cheese, Slaw, Pickles

Luis Style…Hot Chicken with Texas Toast with Cheese

Jojo Style…Hot Chicken with Waffles, Cheese, Powdered Sugar and Maple Syrup. Sunday Only I think because of the waffles.

Dressed Collard Greens…semi melted cheese, hot sauce, vinegar from pickled chiles.

I also don’t think it’s too far fetch for you to create your own off the menu item. I have a good feeling they would make your own creation

2 Likes

I bet that tray of strawberry crossiants is already gone!!!

1 Like

Yup! Those suckers disappeared as soon as they arrived home. I may or may not inhaled 3 before I realized it.

1 Like

Tsukemen ramen at the Glendale Tsujita. Portion is much larger than the Swatelle location’s!

5 Likes

A friend broke open something from the cellar and shared…

1 Like

I’m so sorry you didn’t enjoy Ten-Raku. I’ve liked my visits there, although I’ve only been once to Park’s many yrs ago and have never been to Gwang Yang (and I prob haven’t been to Ten-Raku in > 1yr). I should probably try the others for comparison…

Gwang Yang’s chuck flap is one of my favorite cuts for Korean BBQ ever. You gotta try it!

2 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

No no, it’s not like you ran the restaurant. :wink: I’m glad to have tried it; and perhaps our group was being too nitpicky (having enjoyed Park’s BBQ and Gwang Yang so much recently that it was fresh in our minds and we were comparing it to those 2 favorites). I hope you get a chance to try both of them.

Thanks

OB Bear wings and kimchi/tofu dish. I always get the wings but the first time getting the latter–it was awesome. Tofu was fine, but really just served as a foil for the wonderful pile of kimchi and sweet pork. And the wings, as usual, were great. Really love OB Bear. Also got squid noodles but no pic–my fave place in K town for them.

Kimchi%20Tofu

6 Likes

OB Bear doesn’t get the press it deserves. They’re busy as heck, though, so good for them!

2 Likes

OB Bear is a great spot to watch the Dodgers.

-Dem wingz
-Passionate Korean Dodger fans
-Fukin love Hite

The Prince is underrated too. Best interior in LA (more cool than Republique?) and the Korean Fried Chicken is good too

It’s getting more and more popular, which is annoying, but I’ll never stop going.

Have you ever watched sports other than Dodgers there? Was thinking about maybe going on Sundays to watch football but not sure what they even show.

Nope tbh I am not sure if they play football.

On Sunday’s almost all NFL games are over by the time OB Bear opens at 4 pm.

Just be aware that if there’s a dodgers game on it will be on every channel. I once went there for dinner and had them change one tv to the college football game I was watching. When the dodgers pre game came on every channel was abruptly changed.