Best of LA for the budget-minded among us

Have you tried Tacos Punta Cabra? right by St. Johns on Santa Monica? So good

1 Like

Yes to Cafe Tropical.
I have got to get over to Mitsuwa!

1 Like

no need for us to be in lock-step.
i feel the same way you do about other mom 'n pop places.
my favorite “type” of restaurant is a mon 'n pop place.

1 Like

[quote=“aaqjr, post:53, topic:3741”]
Yes She is at Sunin Bakery most of the time and is great to speak with, such passion for what she does.
[/quote]Yeah… She’s great.

I just had their veggie burger last week. One of the best I’ve had. (Northridge location).

[quote=“aaqjr, post:62, topic:3741, full:true”]
Have you tried Tacos Punta Cabra?
[/quote] No. I’m not in the SM area often. I meant 3rd St., Beverly-Grove. I’ve read good things about TPC. Next time I go to SM Farmers Mkt will check them out. Thanks!

aah, lol I misread that

No. I wrote it wrong. Just edited it.

Agree re: Cafe Tropical. Love the Cubano and their egg sandwiches. Just stay away from their pastries and other sweets. Dense, aggressively sugary and generally pretty awful.

Thanks for the rec.

Did you also mention previously that Fatburger does a good veggie burger? I may end up having to do a taste test. Too bad they got closed The Stand in Westwood!

Too late, I already saw it! :wink:

BTW, if we’re opening this up to all of LA, I’m throwing in a vote for Ruen Pair, which is both cheap and open late into the evening/morning. :slight_smile:

My son’s girlfriend is not a vegetarian, but loves Fatburger’s Veggie Burger. Curious what you think when/if you try it.

I’m a fan of wine in a can for the same reasons. Whole Foods sells one called West Side that I find perfectly drinkable. Cheap meal-wise? I’m partial to the burgers at Hinano on Washington Blvd near the Venice pier. $6-8 with a bag of chips (no fries, cash only, reasonably priced wine and beer). Fritto Misto in Santa Monica may not win any awards, but it’s a decent sit-down red sauce Italian place and the chicken dishes at around $16 are easily enough for dinner one night and lunch the next day. I also second or third @paranoidgarliclover’s recommendation for happy hour food at some of the nicer spots - Chaya Venice, Wilshire, the Misfit, Bar Pinxto … I know there are more I’m forgetting.

2 Likes

Eater LA listed a few places w/ Happy Hour ~1 yr ago [here] (http://la.eater.com/maps/best-happy-hour-restaurants-los-angeles-map-guide).

As most of the really good advice here is about eating out I offer some tips for “high-quality-but-cheaper-priced items that can be found for purchase…”.

Epicure Imports has been reborn as Epicurus Gourmet, http://www.epicurusgourmet.com/. They don’t have an actual store yet, but get on their email list and you will receive an inventory listing each week. You have to order ahead, and pick up, but the prices for excellent charcuterie, cheese, and butter as well as many other items are much better than at Surfas or M. Marcel, or Bristol Farms.

I’m sure you are aware of Costco. Their prime beef and seafood when purchased at the weekend roadshows is very high quality and reasonably priced for what you get.

99 Ranch is an Asian market that carries a wide variety of seafood, poultry and Asian products including Jidori chicken. Stay away from the beef as it is select grade and pretty tough.

Whole Foods has $1 oysters on Fridays.

Vallarta Markets are a chain of Latin American markets that have excellent fresh tortillas, obscure (to me) Latin American products, and great prices on produce. They have a large selection of animal parts, which, squeamish white boy that I am, I only buy the fresh rendered lard, the chicken feet (unmatched for flavor in stock), and the pig feet (also for stock), but there are a lot of other choices. They also have an excellent cafe section. I am very fond of their torta cubano.

Ralphs is another chain that has really improved its quality. In most of their locations they have a branch of Murray’s, a Brooklyn (I believe) cheese store, with quality cheese for very reasonable prices. They always have several sample baskets with cheese chunks under $5. Ralphs now carries Prime beef, and most stores have a “Manager’s special” area in the meat department where you can get great deals on prime cuts that have visual flaws.

Finally, if you find yourself in the Valley I recommend Lola’s Peruvian chicken, Puro Sabor, just about any taco truck, and Fab’s Hot Dogs.

6 Likes

i didn’t know that fatburger served ANY veggie burger. will have to investigate.

re: the whole foods oysters

the playa vista whole foods, in their bar/diner area, will serve them to you for a $1 an oyster shucked, on a bed of ice, accompanied by cocktail sauce ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

4 Likes

will report soon

Great sources @ebethsdad… As usual. Bookmarking!

I would love good Peruvian Chicken in my area. When we get the chance we eat at Chicken Shack and El Pollo Inka, both in Hermosa. I don’t know if they’re authentic. But really tasty and all that matters to me. Perfect for a budget thread.

Hey Silver Lake folks. Since we’re venturing out of WLA for our inexpensive fare. Is Cha Cha Cha Caribbean still good? I always enjoyed the fun, funky vibe and the Jerk Chicken & Sangria.