Bestia - Arts District

That all doesn’t make much sense

2 Likes

Made a reservation to Bavel for August, if I dont feel more confident about dining out by then I’m gonna cancel, who knows what the situation by then will be but its either gonna be worse or better.

2 Likes

I’m just saying I don’t see why it is more popular than Osteria Mozza. Maybe people like the loud and hip vibe?

My vague recollection when I did pick up was that they had a decent-sized patio, and the interior seemed pretty airy (like it would have good natural ventilation, if they left all the windows/doors open). So hopefully it will work out for you (but my memory isn’t great, so YMMV).

Im sure they will do all they can to be safe, Im more worried about other people

2 Likes

What didn’t make sense was that you pretty much said that Bestia is mediocre restaurant but still made reservations (even though there are many excellent options in LA)

3 Likes

Has anyone gone recently? I have reservations for tomorrow and surprised that it hasn’t been cancelled. Wondering what it’s like there right now.

They should have cancelled your reservation unless they are doing outdoor dining now?

yeah they’re doing outdoor dining.

I like variety. I eat at lots of mediocre restaurants frequently. bestia is better than mediocre but I wouldn’t say it’s better than, say, terroni.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKc2XI3Bod4/
damn shame, hope they can make it.

3 Likes

Same for Bavel (from their Instagram):

3 Likes

Interesting timing. Wonder if big donor to Gavin’s campaign, Aileen Getty had a play in it.

1 Like

really sucks to keep losing great restaurants hopefully they’ll be in a position to reboot in 6 months or whenever the rebound starts

1 Like

It sounds like LA County will resume outdoor dining with updated regulations this Friday so hopefully they pivot into doing that and staying open.

Peony: Bestia, the “sister” restaurant of our beloved Bavel, is always very popular and very difficult to get reservations for. However, overall I find it more like a good neighborhood restaurant rather than a top tier restaurant worthy of traveling across LA to experience. The food overall was good every time we went, but didn’t have the extra things to stand out from so many other similar restaurants. Plus the “hustling and busting” vibe (especially pre-Covid) was not what I look for when craving a comforting and relaxing meal.

Warrior: I don’t like the Bestia experience. I think the food compares unfavorably to Rossoblu among other Italian restaurants, and it is inconsistently executed. For example, I loved the chicken gizzards on a past visit but found them too soggy (with balsamic?) on our last visit. The scene is largely young professionals shouting to each other over the ridiculously loud music and stumbling to the bathroom trying not to look drunk. We routinely have to wait for 15+ minutes past our reservation time to get a table. I’m not saying the food is bad. The whole fish was particularly good this visit. But it is not worth dealing with the unpleasant atmosphere and difficult reservations. I don’t feel bad dissing a restaurant this popular either.

Warrior: this was my favorite meal at Bestia. Sweet potato pizza and grilled branzino very good, with gizzard/endive salad and panna cotta not far behind.

Peony:best meal I had in bestia! I was really impressed by how creative and well-executed the dishes are. Also no extra long waiting time today. Totally changed how i felt about bestia before - would love to come more often if they keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Been a while but here’s my second post!

Bestia has been on my short list of restaurants I’ve always heard about but never got the chance to go to. Despite having been to Bavel 3x, I never made it to the restaurant that made Bavel possible!

I managed to book a same-day reservation for 2 at 6pm on a Tuesday, which was unheard of at the peak of Bestia’s notoriety.

Ordered 2 Antipasti

Mussels
spicy 'nduja. scallions. fennel pollen. grilled bread. 22

Tasting Notes

• First thing I noticed was how well-sourced the mussels were. Profoundly plump, juicy, and meaty in all of the satisfying ways.
    • No rancid, fishy flavors, no grit, no loose mussel hairs
  • The tomato broth was very well-seasoned with the 'nduja. The calabrian chilis in the 'nduja didn’t dominate, but provided a nice counterpoint to the acidity in the tomato sauce and the mussel liquor.
    • for the folks familiar with La Ciccia in SF, this hits similarly to the Spicy Octopus in Tomato broth, but to my preference, this dish has that edge specifically because of 'nduja and fennel combo.
  • To bring it all home, the fennel flavor provided that herbal nose-feel to keep things grounded
  • The mussel portions were also pretty generous, and of the 4 slices of grilled bread, was able to make a pretty 2.5 fully-packed crostinis with plump mussels for every bite!

Roasted Marrow Bone
spinach gnocchetti. crispy breadcrumbs. aged balsamic. 22

Tasting Notes

• Perhaps the quintessential Bestia dish, friends all recommended I tried the dish, and it didn’t disappoint!
  • I’ve had many copy-cats of this dish (some even at non-Italian places!), but it’s clear to see why this is still the best
  • The gnocchetti was pleasantly chewy; I would compare it to Chinese cat-ear noodles that you can find in SGV.
    • I also understand the Spinach is used primarily for color than for flavor, and to that end, was a really pretty dish to look at!
  • Overall, this was a phenomenal case study in texture. The crispy breadcrumbs do a great job of contrasting the chewy gnocchetti with periodic pops in your mouth. The roasted bone marrow had its fair moments of crispy fat, but overall was an unctuous, beefy, luxurious experience akin to eating perfectly rendered fat on a ribeye.
  • Just when you thought the marrow would be too cloying, the dashes of the aged balsamic provide just enough brightness to bring u back for more.
  • On that note, the Somm did recommend an Orange Wine that had a wonderful cider quality about it that was dry enough and paired wonderfully with this dish [and our entire meal at that]

Ordered 1 Paste

Squid Ink Chitarra.
poached lobster. meyer lemon. calabrian chili. thai basil. 34

Tasting Notes

• This was incredible! While I don’t go out often for pasta, this was easily one of my favorite pasta dishes in recent memory.
  • The poached lobster had a bounciness to it that was crunchy yet chewy and supple once you break through the flesh.
    • I would dare compare the bounciness to perfectly cooked boba, but with the added springiness of shellfish.
  • The sauce was tinged with an incredible aroma of shellfish broth, I dare even say a touch of saffron was included to really enhance that crustacean fragrance. Coupled with the calabrian chili for the one-two punch of umami from many angles
  • If that’s starting to sound too rich, the meyer lemons [zest + juice] and micro basil bring the levity.
  • Oh, and of course the squid ink pasta was curly, chewy, and held onto the sauce really well
  • It’s weird to say, but if you like the intersection of French and Thai food, this would really be up your alley.

Ordered 1 Secondi

Grilled Whole Branzino.
crispy seeds. chili. basil. mustard frill. 39

Tasting Notes

• First of all, the butchering was phenomenal. Essentially no bones at all in your bite unless you’re really digging at the face of the branzino.
  • The crispy seeds (I tasted coriander and fennel, but I’m sure there are others I’m unable to identify) enhanced the overall crust and mouthfeel of the skin
  • The flesh itself was bursting with juice (and you can even see some of the juices pooled in the open area right below the gill in the photo)
  • There was a pleasant sweetness that tasted like caramelized onions, but I didn’t see any physical presence of such. That sweetness combined with the crispy seeds and smoke gave it a BBQ feel which was just a treat to enjoy
  • The mustard frill + basil sprinkled on top weren’t doing anything for me but were pretty to look at!

Overall, I had a great experience at Bestia. All of the above + 2 glasses of wine ($18 each) + dessert ($14) came out to $167.

• Add in Tax and tip for $212.93, split 2 ways is $106.46/person

Everything was well-executed, but I also understand why some people would feel this restaurant is overrated. I’m personally not in any rush to come back, but encourage others who were on the fence to consider giving it a try!

22 Likes

Great review. Keep up the great posts!

4 Likes

hi @jc_eats,
love your tasting notes. that mussel dish has great qpr. and you’re spot on, it’s very similar to la ciccia’s octopus stew.
i would say the cavatelli alla norcina is bestia’s other signature dish besides the bone marrow.

1 Like