California SOUL - The Delightful Comfort Food of Alta Adams - Grand Opening [Thoughts + Pics]

YAY! I just heard from a neighbor who went recently and she also had very good things to say. To us, being on the other side of West Adams, I have been waiting a bit after a few ‘meh’ items at the Coffee Shop… We’ll head there soon…

LOL!!! If you are of a certain “Socio Economic background”… You darn well know Sock it to Me Cake… This one looks almost as good as the one at M’Dears on Western and 77th… My current go to since KMarts are far and few… LOL!!

3 Likes

Ditto. So happy about this @Chowseeker1999! You should message them about that service though.

P.S. I :heart: Sock It To Me Cake.

1 Like

Thanks @Dommy! :slight_smile: I hope you get to try Alta Adams soon.

And as a Mac & Cheese connoisseur, please report back on what you think of their interesting version of Mac & Cheese. I think you might like it. :slight_smile:

I had never heard of Sock It To Me Cake before, but I liked Chef Corbin’s version (a tribute to his Grandma). I’ll let you and @TheCookie and others who might have tried it before report back on how it might compare. :wink:

2 Likes

Kentucky Buck & Kind of a Champagne Cocktail

The Kentucky Buck w/Eagle Rare Bourbon, Lemon, Strawberry, Ginger, Soda & Bitters is delicious. The Champagne Cocktail was a concoction made for me because they didn’t have the Blood Orange Bellini. :frowning_face:

I like this menu. It’s small but has something for everyone. Best part? An a la carte side of Fried Chicken! :blush: Oh and wasn’t someone looking for Avocado Toast for under $10?

Cornbread + Honey Butter

Mighty fine cornbread. Nice balance of corn, sweetness, savory and texture, not too crumbly or too dense & starchy.

Tartine Toast + Butter w/Flaky Salt + Jam

Good nooks & crannies.

Soft Scrambled Eggs + Shiitake + Leeks + Fried Potato

I asked for extra crispy potatoes and got ‘em. :blush: This is my kind of breakfast dish. All it needs is…

Grits!

Again w/the right balance of flavor, texture & creaminess.

Fried Chicken Thigh + Leg

Crispy, juicy, a little heat and a surprise punch of flavor like it’s brined with granulated chicken base @ebethsdad.:yum:

We ordered Black Eyed Pea Fritters @Chowseeker1999 even though they just seem wrong. :grimacing: The server forgot them and it was okay because we were pretty full.

Slice of Coconut Cake for Dad

Nice, moist, coconut, coconut cake. :blush:

We like Alta! Good comfort food that doesn’t weigh you down. In a spacious setting, a pretty patio & close to home.

10 Likes

Exciting news at Alta!

Today I went to go pick up an order at Bar and Garden and meandered over there on Jefferson and back on Adams… the amount of construction… ACTIVE construction on those stretches is amazing. It’s been a good long while since I’ve gone past and as I was looking and down the streets… I noticed that at the Adams Coffee Shop, attached to Alta… they put a sign that they were selling wine!! I needed to get back home for a meeting, but I made a mental note out of it… and looked them up… And YES. They converted into a Wine Shop… that also sells coffee AND is open until 9p!

https://www.instagram.com/adamswineshop/

Days open however are Thursday-Sunday… But still… I was super excited as a legit wine shop is what has long been missing in the area… I love Bar and Garden and will continue to be a loyal customer… but it has been a long while since I’ve really perused wine… online just isn’t the same…

So when P. wanted to pick up Mizlala for dinner (Still great… although the neighborhood has gone permit parking only… but there is a new crosswalk on Adams now…) and stopped by…

y7j0SdcrQkCwkmvO53dB1g

Inside was a small but well stocked shop! I carefully poured over all the bottles and soon Alta’s Sommelier, Ruben came to chat. He told us he curated the selection to especially feature Women and African American Winemakers. And these makers are all in some of my favorite regions… Alsace and Willamette Valley, in fact he had several bottles to choose from!

Another thing I was happy to see is that he had a well stocked cooler of wines! I love this, especially for a neighborhood wine shop… Sometimes I just want to pick spmething up last minute for a dinner party we are going to or dinner for ourselves. Having yummy wine that is ready to go and is not from Trader Joes is joy.

In addition to wine, they have a small but nice selection of Spirits and we noticed quite a few cookbooks on the wall (two set of shelves) and we were so thrilled they were to get a little more distribution and the word about NowServing! Usually people are about ‘helping’ our neighborhood… it’s nice that we get a chance to give a hand up to another wonderful business I really enjoy!

When we went to check out… We saw that they also were selling Ice Cream from Alta! It was so hard to just pick one…

USLSgR3mTLOY3%rG0FpUEA

We opted for Strawberry… were so stuffed from our dinner at Mizlala, that we just a small spoonful. Sadly it wasn’t as smooth and lucious as Antica. But the strawberry flavor was WOW. We look forward to trying the other flavors when we stop by.

Needless to say… it was quite the boozy day… in the best way possible… :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

15 Likes

So happy that Adams Wine and Coffee Shop is featured on Good Food this weekend! Good episode. :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

3 Likes

Warrior: This was our second visit to Alta. I liked all aspects of the restaurant. The food was consistently good across the board. While I saw no attempt to innovate or elevate, all the dishes were well-prepared and tasty. The wine list was excellent. The patio was beautiful—one of the best in LA. Service was friendly and prompt. All in all, a nice meal.

Peony: I think this is a good restaurant for comforting food. I found the fried chicken juicy and tender. I liked the hot sauce for the chicken; it added flavor without being too spicy, so it’s the right sauce for people like me who can’t eat too spicy. The macaroni and cheese tasted good to me, though I’m not very experienced with how it should taste. I liked the consistency of the grits—not too runny or too firm—although the shrimp was average. Overall, nice meal in a lovely patio. Good service. We had a good time.

4 Likes

Good report @PeonyWarrior. Thanks!

2 Likes

Adams Wine Shop

Down to just the bottles we want to save… yep, time to go shopping! With pro help from the understated, excellent sommelier, Ruben, we purchased wines great for casual dinners of two & interesting enough for sharing w/friends.

They get you with that 10% off on Six :wink:

@PeonyWarrior, they were out of the Brisat del Coster Blanco, but Ruben suggested its “little sister”, Petita Julieta… We’ll see.

While there I had a glass of this Ruhlmann Cremant d’Alsace Harmonie de Rosé and instantly became cheery that there was already one in my bag! It hits my sparkly sweet spot - fine bubbles, berry, creamy. :heartpulse:

Uncorked this one at home

Delish fruity nose, medium body, it manages to be fruity lush and crispy dry at the same time. :heart: Went pretty darn well with fried chicken & habanero hot sauce.

We couldn’t visit the wine shop without getting some Alta Adam’s Fried Chicken. :blush:

This recent batch had their signature honey-colored crust, crispy skin & juicy meat. I still can’t put my finger on one ingredient (probably in the brine) that’s reminiscent of chicken soup base. Me likey. Chicken has some kick & habanero sauce kicks it up more. I wish they’d go easy on the salt, though. Still one of my favorite fried chickens. :heart:

A classically delicious Mac & Cheese

Collard Greens, Vinegar & Smoked Oil

Stewed, tender, nice crunch. Very vinegar & salt forward so I didn’t taste a lot of smoked oil, but very good. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh @rlw, I didn’t notice they had choco chip cookies until looking online later. Will circle back for that one soon.

Happy Neighborhood Eatin’!

17 Likes

Ruben is a treasure! So glad to see the shop so well stocked and I am taking notes for my next trip (I also need some Rum!). Thanks for the reportage!

1 Like

I really like the fried chicken too. How do you think the crust is made?

1 Like

Hi @Dommy - Yah, Ruben’s great and the shop was well stocked! Things appear to be looking good for AA. :crossed_fingers:t4:

I wonder how the fried chix is made also @Luluthemagnificent. I love Howlin’ Ray’s thick, crunchy coating & big flavor because they do it right. But in general I like a simple, country-style fried chicken like AA.

their chicken is really tasty— I like that it’s not too heavy or greasy. + that patio!

1 Like

Onion powder?

The collard green salad is really good as well, if they have it on the menu, order it.

1 Like

Maybe onion powder is also in the recipe, but this flavor is like chicken bouillon or chicken soup base granules.

1 Like

Who knows maybe they are using it in the spice mix that could go into a flour mix & /or the buttermilk soak

1 Like

Thread drift, sorta’. The flavor reminds me of this.

1 Like

lol! my guess would be Knorr, it’s pretty easy to get in large foodservice/costco size quantities but who knows

2 Likes

Onion powder is a key element of chicken soup base powder. Hydrolyzed vegetable protein’s another key ingredient.

1 Like