Can we offer Hungry Onion a chance to join us?

If somebody else is doing the same work and paying the same bills as I am, I’m kind of inclined to let them take over.

These two sites are literally on the same system and were created for pretty much the same purpose. ckshen heard about Discourse from me and apparently didn’t realize that I had already set up this site.

My only problem is with their site name. It won’t draw new people and don’t we want that?

long time CH lurker, recent changes have led me to find you and hungry onion. I will say though, that as someone that lives in Boston, MA, the lack of a Boston, MA section on this forum makes it difficult for people from that area to post here.

Not that HO has a lot in their Boston, MA forum, or their forum in general. If This forum really wants to capture that market, it would not be difficult at this point, but you will have to build it, so they will come.

Well, for anyone interested, this thread here is certainly an eye-opener about some of the posters…

l, I’m very impressed with what these people wrote. I want to be WITH these folks even though this was the first time I looked at the site. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Have you read the entire thread?

2 Likes

We can create a Boston board for you. That’s not a problem.

We just haven’t done it because there hasn’t been an Boston activity thus far.

If you would like a Boston board, just e-mail either @robert, or let one of the moderators know.

Thanks.

1 Like

I understand, and did read the Site Feedback post about new categories/boards. I guess my point was that one thing that has the potential to turn off new users is the lack of even a forum that supports their region.

For instance, I saw HO has a Boston board, FTC does not, so right off the bat, even though FTC has something like 10 posts, they’ve already won my attention. While an empty board may not look appealing, it does at least convey to a potential user the sense of welcoming nature. This can be enhanced by a default sort of post that welcomes users and gives the convincing argument as to why people in those areas should begin to use the forum.

That said, it sounds like HO does not want to merge with FTC, but given the size of both forums in comparison to the user base active at CH over the last 6mo, the forum that more quickly, and even preemptively, meets the needs of users looking to transition, the more likely that will be the forum that “wins” the user base in the end. It’s all up for grabs right now.

1 Like

Creating a bunch of empty forums doesn’t seem inviting. And the old Chowhound taxonomy isn’t necessarily whst people want.

I did not read all the way. I guess I should. ?

I think this might be a place where bringing over an old review could juice it up some.

cat, just to fill in a blank for me… why would they not draw new people?

What I mean is that Googling about food talk might eventually show up FTC. I doubt it would HO.

Oh, you definitely should. It got locked :joy:

OMG!!! At least he wasn’t talking about me cause I’ve never made a homophobic remark in my life :slight_smile: But he doesn’t like me for reasons that have nothing to do with CH.

holy drama, batman.

1 Like

Indeed.

So sad, as I know the person they’re talking about.

Sheesh, having read that thread you linked… I know a few posters don’t represent the whole site, but yikes. Drama Llama.

1 Like

It remains a mystery to most of us.

Better to keep it that way.

In the end, it matters little, if at all.