Chandavkl discussing dim sum in Los Angeles and San Francisco

AND what’s up with these young people not pouring tea or no one taps their fingers on the table when tea is being poured.

And you can almost pick out the Cantos who are yum cha’ing it.

And yes those Uncles will hold a table for a few hours with maybe 2-3 items eaten lol.

I should try tapping my fingers at the counter the next time at the sushi bar or izakaya the next time someone pours me sake.

3 Likes

Cantos also love to banter with staff.

The Aunties pushing the carts will ask about the cute baby in your group, calling the young male workers “brother” or “handsome” if dim sum’ing with the gals to hook something up.

I just think a little soul and culture is lost in modern dim sum. With that said I still want to try that scallop Siu Mai at Dragon Beaux lol

This. So much fucking this.

Dinner is where it’s at. People who only go to Chinese restaurants for dim sum and never for dinner are truly missing out. Sad.

3 Likes

Dim sum = $20pp
Dinner = $50pp

Um, what’s wrong with paying high prices for Chinese food?

I just got back from NYC where, during a preview meal at Da Dong, the price/person of the meal was probably close to the price/person of Vespertine, maybe a bit more.

nothing, except for being the explanation re: why dim sum is more popular than dinner @ these dim sum temples.

the phrase “yum cha” has for me always carried more a social connotation than a culinary one, kinda like afternoon (and not high) tea in british culture. i’d equate dim sum to tapas in the sense of them both originally being more something you nibble on while you pass the time (whether you are with friends or alone) . and both have become more a culinary thing for some. i hesitate to classify that as an evolution or de-evolution.

Just morbidly curious, how did you manage that? Looking at their menu, the food seems pretty cheap to be breaking $250++ per person, unless everyone ate a whole duck and a whole sea cucumber by themselves??

Have you ever seen him eat?

2 Likes

I kind of rather like the idea of a moderate dim sum meal vs an all-out buffet.

Agreed. Dim sum means a little something from the heart.

1 Like

Where are you seeing prices?

http://www.dadongny.com/tasting-menu-2/

How was it? Going next month

Eater posted their menu with prices:

Duck $98, caviar $42, langoustine $38, truffle braised abalone $92, lobster and king crab $MP … doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to spend $250 on food

Yes, I could easily eat $250 pp. Saffron braised baby cabbage, roast squab, roast duck, king crab hot pot, cherry fois gras, crispy whole fish, and broad beans with dried chili. If I’m still hungry, I will have a taste of the dried tangerine ice-cream.

Are the portions here that small?

You guys eat WHOLE ducks by yourself + another 7+ full dishes??? I can’t even imagine having an appetite like that!

Or are you guys just saying you buy a shit ton of food and then take a lot of it to go (or throw it away I guess)?

if i recall correctly, ipsedixit once typed a sentence that went something like this: “if you splurged a little and spent $10,000”. for a meal for two.

1 Like

Half a duck isn’t a huge amount of food.