Chicas Tacos (DTLA)

Yes, let me just get this out of the way, Chicas Tacos is a hipster central for tacos.

Cuz, I mean, where else do you get the privilege of paying $4.50 for a taco?

And where else do you get to eat a fish taco topped with Caesar salad?

Likewise, when do you ever have the privilege of enjoying a chicken taco topped with … feta?

Hardly ever, if at all. Cuz, only at Chicas are you eating not only “authentic” tacos, but tacos made from non-GMO, organic, and fresh (never frozen) ingredients. And where the chicken is “free range” and the fish are “wild caught.”

(And for what it’s worth, the tortillas are sourced from La Princesita, which I am not sure is a good or bad thing.)

Got that?

Well, with that out of the way. I must say, I do like the food here. Do they taste like traditional tacos? No, and the tacos here would probably make Kogi’s creations seem downright homey Mexican.

But that fish taco with the Caesar salad topping may soon become a new addiction for me. The fish is lightly battered and perfectly fried so as not to be heavy or oily. The Caesar salad gives the entire experience a nice citrus-y, pungency flavor that’s unexpected but at the same time a very welcoming surprise. First time ever having croutons in a taco, too. It just all works in a strange way.

My second favorite taco here might be the pork tacos, which come with chicharones and caramelized onions. It’s a pretty rich mouthful, but not heavy nor greasy. But what makes this taco great is that the pork is both juicy and flavorful (with a good hint of heat).

Not sure I’m a fan of either the chicken or steak tacos. They seem so pedestrian in comparison to everything else.

Guac and chips are good, and only $4.

Chicas Tacos
728 S Olive St (across the street behind the Whole Foods Market)

4 Likes

“hrs" don’t eat 4.50 cent fish caesar salad tacos in downtown los angeles. "hrs” spend 15 bucks on gas and 10 bucks on parking and an hour and half in traffic to wait two hours in a line for a 1.95 cent taco made from factory farmed fish cooked at a popup by someone who brought that fish over the border for a random six hour period on a thursday. or at a festival that’s “curated” by someone who took advantage of “social media” to bring AUTHENTIC FOOD TO THE PEOPLE, MAAAAAN.
and before they bite down, “hrs" know more about the “chef” – referred to by first name, only – and his/her family history and the anthropology/geology/geography of said “chef’s” hometown than they do their own.
and when they roll said fish taco over their tongue, they bitch about swai and tilapia but are saving up for some of that awesome toro at _______ sushi that’s the moral equivalent of having a tasty plate of roast tiger.
after they swallow, the "h
rs” complain no taco should be more than two bucks but it’s RACIST, MAN that no one will buy thai or chinese food that isn’t dirt cheap.

Are you referring to hamsters?

hoarders?

you sure have integrated yourself well with them.

1 Like

Don’t try so hard @linus.

Makes you come off as a mini-me h*****r.

1 Like

Thanks for the report back @ipsedixit. :slight_smile:

It sounds interesting. Might have to try it soon. Thanks.

I’m not gonna lie; I’m pretty tempted by fish tacos smothered with Caesar salad. Thanks for the recommendation, @ipsedixit!

1 Like

Tell us how you really feel.

Currently being taunted with Chicas pictures from the missus…

2 Likes