Coni'seafood post Sergio

lemme tell you from personal experience,
when, after you’ve prepared a delicious feast, and you look around your kitchen and see all the dirty dishes, dirty serving plates, trash, wasted food, etc. the idea of going to a restaurant starts becoming tremendously attractive no matter how good your cooking skills are.
when i was young, i was a personal chef.
'nuf said

3 Likes

So are there any of you that have been to cheko el rey del zarandeado in Long Beach to have the one and only Sergio cook you a meal recently ? Anything new on the menu ?

Was just at Rocio’s Mexican Kitchen in Bell Gardens a few weeks ago for the first time. Kind of like heaven (the food, that is). Far from vegan.

3 Likes

Same Rocio from Mole of the Gods?

mole heaven, without dishes in the sink. right, @westsidegal?

since Las Molenderas opened up, I’ve skipped out on Rocio’s… Not to say Rocio’s isn’t better, but Molenderas does STUPID fun things with its mole like… spreading it in a burrito, putting it on fries. ie., The no fucks given attitude towards Mexican food. Great if you’re stoned.

2 Likes

The very same. Super cool server named Luis and I had a little chat about the fate of the restaurant in Sun Valley and the food that she is serving in Bell Gardens. I think that there are four moles on the menu at any given time, but there were two special ones that were on offer that night.

2 Likes

Back in LA for a couple of days and made the trek to Coni.

The a la diabla and the pescado zarandeado don’t seem to miss Sergio. However, I wasn’t impressed with the pimienta and the oden ceviche (my personal favorite from the days of the MC Mar Vista days).

However after 4+ years of my last visit to CS and countless mindnumbing, flavorkilling “Mexican” meals in the Bay Area I’ll take this in a heartbeat.

1 Like

i love restaurants for so MANY reasons!!!

to quote my friend “even toast tastes better in a restaurant.”

the next step is to give away my cookware so that i can never volunteer to cook a meal again.

3 Likes

Eh, I must say, the mole is good at Rocio’s… but you’re right, everything else BESIDES the mole seems to be really boring. Too much focus on the mole ruins it somewhat for me, and I agree the mole is very good.

It’s nice to see mole put into some other contexts that make it more exciting.

Though to be honest, I personally enjoyed the habenero squash mole, and the persimmon aji amarillo mole I had up north recently at Californios bested anything I’ve ever had in LA. Not really a fair comparison, I know, but given those experiences…I’d rather eat some real good stuff all over fries n shit the rest of the time.

Go eat at Californios. Not going to be an everyday kind of place, or anything like Coni’s, but if you want to experience Mexican with mindblowing flavors, you live right by what is perhaps the best Mexican restaurant in the country.

[quote=“Aesthete, post:49, topic:1755”]Californios Not really a fair comparison
[/quote]
Then don’t make it, because it’s “asinine”.

I’ve eaten haute Mexican in Chicago and enough of it in Mexico to see it when a $100 Mexican prix fixe shows up and simply not care. Though surely it is lovely; kinda like how I’d love Alex Stupak to migrate to LA.

We’re talking about simple pleasures like a good ceviche and some mole made to serve Mexicans struggling to run passion restaurants. Are you genuinely unable to tell the difference? Or just being disingenuous to goad everyone?

We left CH to leave the ilks of Bacoman. Stop trolling every convo.

Where the fuck is the ignore function on this board? It’d be useful for users to not have to read anything I type and vice versa.

2 Likes

I’ll do whatever the fuck I want.

It’s a fucking forum about FOOD DISCUSSION.

Hello Mr./Ms. Aesthete,

Affluenza may be an apt name for your next incarnation. Just my humble suggestion.

1 Like

Be straight with me TonyC, is Empellon Cocina and or Empellon Taqueria worth going to when I migrate back to NYC?

Unfortunately, the finances aren’t deep enough to hit up the kitchen table thing he’s doing.

it’s clear your definition of “discussion” is very different from mine.

I’ve been to Chichen Itza several times. I like it, especially the Tikin Xic (fish).

I’m not sure how this thread has veered so far off topic. All of a sudden we started talking about home cooking and now Chichen Itza!

I love going to Coni’seafood on the way to or from the airport. Sometimes I time my flights around it. But I don’t really like their chips and salsa verde combo. That’s the only thing I don’t like.

I used to wonder why there were two Range Rovers parked in front of Coni’seafood all the time. You know what would be awesome: if they had a shredded crab dish. I make some delicious shredded crab tacos.

Honestly the idea that just about anyone on this forum is casually cooking better pasta than Terroni is a hilarious joke.

1 Like

iunno about your lifestyle/palate, but if I can muster up the courage/will/patience to sit thru Pok Pok LA, then you ought to stop by for a few tacos at Emp Taqueria. Ya know, for the foodie cred, also, for the 'gram.

THIS. And an excellent cook professional or otherwise has an interest in what others are doing. I go out to eat to be inspired as much as time. Even going out to eat can take a bit more time that I would like (That is why I rarely make reservations)

–Dommy!

1 Like

I find it very easy to believe.

Their Reginette pasta looks like it is just De Cecco mafaldine. I’ve been making that with veal and/or pork sugo at home since 2011 and have never been to Terroni. If I can do it I’m sure more talented chefs can do even better. I finish the sauce with 24 month old P. reggiano or Pecorino. I’ll even throw in the rind of the P. reggiano when braising the sugo.

Below is my version with hand torn lasagne sheets.

4 Likes