Creating Genuine, Unique Flavors with a Humble Canvas - The Delicious, Interesting Porridges and More at Porridge and Puffs [Thoughts + Pics]

I can’t do better than @Chowseeker1999’s review, so I’ll just describe the flavors at play with a phrase: party in your mouth!

Loved it. Need to ask about their BYOB policy next time.

3 Likes

They have no liquor license, so it’s illegal for them to allow customers to drink alcohol.

I’m not disputing it but when did that happen? There’s a few places we go to that let us bring in beer & wine. :thinking:

Bummer Robert. Doesn’t hurt to drink less I suppose. :wink:

At at least one of those such places, they kept our wine in the kitchen to keep it hush hush.

1 Like

what’s the first rule of drink club :wink:

3 Likes

To my knowledge that’s been the law in California since Prohibition ended. Some restaurants that do not sell alcohol have liquor licenses so they can allow BYOB. If a restaurant that has no license is BYOB-friendly, it’s not cool to mention their scofflawry in a public forum.

1 Like

Okay, got it. One of our local favorites are completely comfortable with it and even open the bottles.

You can search the ABC database to see if it’s legal.

1 Like

How’s the parking situation?

Hi @TheCookie,

Definitely a challenge depending on time of day. Sometimes we find a parking spot easily (in the residential side streets), like along Occidental (where Porridge & Puffs sits), or along Glassell Street or Council Street. Definitely worth a visit if you’re in the area. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Revisited today and I’m glad to report that chef Minh is on top of her game and it’s even better than the last time we visited.

The signature porridges are still as good but as some have mention, it’s a much bigger portion—easily double in size while prices appear stable.

But the star of today’s brunch were the vegetables/salads.

Fermented tea leaf salad—her interpretation of a Burmese style salad was the highlight of the meal. Absolutely fantastic flavors, so many delicious components, just a delight to eat. Wish could eat this everyday.

Crispy legumes—another winner, more hearty and earthy but deliciously balanced by all the pickled and fermentation components. The use of raw chrysanthemum greens is just freaking fantastic.

This last one was quite unique—is it spaetzle? Dumpling? Tapioca banh Canh? Really unique and fun dish with nice heat. Really shows her creative mind.

She’s clearly heard the critics and adjusted. There were plenty of Asians in the house. Her fermentation game is as strong as any in LA now that she’s got some time to settle in. One of the best brunches with unique dishes we’ve had in a long time.

13 Likes

Do you happen to know what the herb is in the second photo? It looks like papalo but that’s pretty pungent so it’s probably something else, right?

i’ve never had papalo and honestly i don’t know what it was…don’t recall anything too pungent or out of place. those translucent gold watermelon rind pickles on the lower left, though…oh my goodness, could eat a jar of that. craving this salad already.

She gets most of her herbs from @growgood farms which seem really specialized so it’s certainly possible…

1 Like

What service would have the most variety of dishes to try? Lunch, weekend dinner, pinch dinner, brunch?

Thursday Pinch dinners are 3 course, set at $20. Don’t think they do ala cart on thursdays.
We haven’t been there for dinner yet, but Lunch and brunch I think are pretty similar menus. If going with group, I would def. hit up the vegetable lists hard and just do one porridge to share now that it’s a larger shareable portion.

3 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Usually lunch and dinner have very similar menus, but at dinner, they might introduce 1 or 2 specials for the evening, so dinner would give you the most variety.

Definitely try more than 1 of the porridge flavors if you’re there, to see how they differ. :wink: And try her veggie dishes to start as well. The individual components are pretty wonderful and when combined together with her porridge it’s even better. Enjoy!

Call all top reheater contestants @PorkyBelly @TheCookie @Hungrydrunk @moonboy403 @NYCtoLA and others.

Win prizes for your replating

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD12ZLBDJpo/?igshid=1kqof78j7q00o

6 Likes

LOL I ordered earlier this week.

2 Likes

applies to past meals as well!

1 Like

They put it up on kinda’ short notice, but I think I’m in!

3 Likes