December Weekend Rundown (2015)

How were the meatballs at Gjusta??

How much does the 2nd bone cost?

I guess I missed that, as I’ve only ever seen it with 1 bone. Very interesting… it already seemed pretty intense with just 1 bone to me though.

One for $15 two for $25.

not as good as the prime rib or brisket.

I noticed the same - assumed it was garlic but now not sure - I liked that in particular.

Only dine-out in some time: the two of us and another couple Saturday night at Bacchus’ Kitchen in Pasadena. After having recently spent some time in Paris, this reminded me of one of those French neighborhood places with mostly local regulars and every table busy. But no chalkboard … We got the Specialty bread plate, a chewy whole-grain that was nice but not our taste and a ciabatta to die for from the new Seed Bakery down the street, with a cultured butter from Vermont and a nice compound one, and a delightful bottle of Fleurie (a Beaujolais) for three of us, while Mrs. O had a prosecco. She ordered the Tandoori-seared scallops dish with rice, asparagus and pappadum – those guys give good scallop, though she did not offer me any – and I had the Jägerschnitzel with (under) roasted turnips and spaetzle, very good but this is not what they do best. One of the schnitzels came home for breakfast, and was okay with an egg on it but a tad dry. I believe the other guy got the chili and a side of fries, but damned if I can remember what his wife had. And of course NObody was taking pictures; our usual photographer had one arm in a sling and I never remember unless I’m prompted.

Anyway, it’s a swell joint with enough parking, lovely to have in the neighborhood, and reservations are easy to come by and strongly advised. Up on Washington just a couple of doors east of Hill Avenue, Tuesday-Saturday 5-10 pm. With wine (and why go otherwise?) about $50 pp.

2 Likes

Terrine LA, first year anniversary. Lots of big names in the room last night. Highlight for me was surprisingly the fluke crudo. The tournedos rossini was also really good but I could not believe how heavy it was.

Fig & Olive for happy hour - I don’t care if the crostinis are frozen they are fucking delicious, and @ 6 for $12 during happy hour a ridiculous bargain.

Smoked these. My favorite.

4 Likes

Those look amazing! I do a great beef back rib, but I haven’t tried these and would like to. I have three questions:

1. Where do you get the ribs?
  2. At what temp do you smoke them?
  3. For how long?

Thanks!

1. Any place that sells short ribs should be able to provide them. I got these at Stater Bros, just ask the butcher and he can get them from the back. 4 rib hunks of meat are about $40-$50 @ $5.99/lb. CAB at HMart is around $9.99 and the meat is a bit better. I believe Stater Bros gets theirs from Excel brand and give you the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th rib.

2. 275 F

3. 4 hours of smoke, 1 hour foiled and wrapped in towel for rest off the fire. I put these on room temp so the smoke ring is not that impressive, but I rather have a more even cook.

1 Like

I’ll give that a shot. What are you cooking them on? I’ve got a BGE, so the rest-of-the-fire part would be quite awhile.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I just use a Weber kettle indirect with these. 4 hours of indirect smoke at 275F. The 1 hour is completely out of the smoker/kettle/BGE wrapped in foil and a towel and is purely for the meat to rest, some people even put it in a cooler. I find that this slow gradual decline in temp acts as a nice steaming effect while at the same time cooks the meat a bit. It will take away any crunch on the bark though. You can rest it even longer, 2 hours which is potentially better but 1 hour is fine.

And one more thing, keep the membrane on so the meat stays on better and you can eat it like a lollipop. Enjoy!

1 Like

Gwang Yang is still hitting it out of the park, and eons above Park’s:

wagyu yukhwe

saeng short rib:

Prime kkotsal:

Gangnam bulgogi:

3435 Wilshire Blvd #123, parking on Alexandria. Res accepted, full licker license.

3 Likes

Perfect. Thanks for the clarification.

Sokolowski’s University Inn Stuffed Cabbage and pirogue $11 Cleveland Ohio USA

loooks good - how’s the naengmyon?

Visiting your son again? :wink:

1 Like

Friday - Broken Spanish. Loved everything, but I’m pretty easy to please.

Cazuela (mezcal, blanco tequila, mandarine napoléon, lime, fresh jicama, pineapple, fresno chilli):

Diver scallop crudo (apple, cucumber, serrano):

Tamale (lamb neck, king oyster mushroom, queso Oaxaca):

Blue corn tortillas with refried lentils:

Pulpo (alberjones, chorizo, crema):

Chicharron (elephant garlic mojo, radish sprout, pickled herbs):

Pollo prensado (chicken thigh, chicken skin, cock’s comb, guajillo):

Abuelita hot chocolate (ancho-chocolate cake, alpaco ganache, candied cocoa nibs, milk ice cream, abuelita broth):

Our excellent server offered us their “secret” salsa which was nice and spicy. He said it had habaneros and some other peppers. I made a taco with the tortilla, the chicken, and that salsa, and omg! So good. Can’t wait to go back and try the lamb head. The folks next to us ordered it and it looked and smelled fantastic.

11 Likes

Animal

Veal tongue

Hamachi tostada

Chicken liver

Hamachi collar

Poutine

Pork belly

Foie gras biscuit - locally forced

Rabbit legs - only miss of the night, the sour cream gravy sauce was way too rich and smothered the rabbit

4 Likes

Nice to see you posting again. :slight_smile:

How big was that chicharron???

1 Like