Delicious Decadence - Beast Mode at Animal

Hello! Welcome home!

Hi @Nemroz,

Thanks for the great report back. :slight_smile: Wow that Veal Tongue looks delicious! That Burger thoughā€¦ first @PorkyBelly and now you. I think we might have to finally order it next time, but I donā€™t know how much I could finish of that. :wink:

2 Likes

Not too big. It was an easy split

1 Like

I know. It frightens me.

2 Likes

animal last night was great.
12 years in business at the same location and the quality remain super high.
It is kind of baffling given how many chefs/staff have worked there yet it doesnā€™t have any serious ups and downs in quality.

Quail Fry with Grits and Bacon was superb.
Beef Tendon Chips with Pho dip also terrific.
Octopus with yogurt and tamarind killed it.

Agree with @PorkyBelly the Charred Cabbage is too greasy

8 Likes

I am more surprised how long they retain their staff. Since we live now on the other coast our visits to Animal are very rare but end of December we visit LA and had to include a visit at Animal (and some other restaurants) and we met and talked to several FOH staff we still know well from out very regular Animal visits 10 years ago - and yes - Animal is still excellent

4 Likes

My guess, Animal has an easier time hiring good kitchen staff than most other places because there they get to cook the kind of food they love. And itā€™s a good place to have on your resume.

2 Likes

Last time we were there (and other times) we saw the server we had on our first visit 10 years ago.

3 Likes

Yes @honkman @TheCookie thatā€™s true: I have been goingā€™ there since they opened (when Jon and Vinny were the chefs every night) and indeed there are a few familiar serving-FOH faces.

I suppose my comments were more directed at cooks/chefs were the turnover is constant.
I know this because I almost always sit at the bar and the tattoos on the chefsā€™ arms are always different :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Could be!

1 Like

Thatā€™s funny!

1 Like

Stopped by last night with the girl just to grab a dessertā€¦got the guava cheesecake pudding and it was one of the best desserts iā€™ve had in LA easily. Insanely yummy.

3 Likes

I miss the Panna Cotta from the original menu. :cry: I know Animalā€™s image doesnā€™t scream great Panna Cotta, but it was the best Iā€™ve had in L.Aā€¦ Okay anywhere, because I havenā€™t had it outside of L.A.

Yep, I remember it being said that Animal was the place other chefs liked to eat when they were off work.

Who says Animal only does fat on fat on fat?

5 Likes

I really need to get a meal here before I move to the East Coast for a few years

3 Likes

Wait! What?

The hamachi tostada is an OG dish at animal. One of the must orders for us whenever we go and definitely a good dish to cut through all the fat. Itā€™s been too long since our last trip to Animal.

3 Likes

Argh are you really moving? I think I speak for many of us in that we value your contributions.

7 Likes

Thanks to @Sgee and a few others at least we now have a pretty good NYC board to keep up with his eatings!

1 Like