Dim Sum recs in SF?

I enjoyed palette but didn’t recommend it because it’s exactly what you weren’t looking for, a mod/“elevated” dim sum place like dragon beaux.

1 Like

aha.

well, if palette is opening up in irvine (a hop, skip and jump from seal beach) then we’ll probably pass. koi palace either on the way in or out of san francisco and/or yank sing while there (about a 20 minute walk from our hotel) looks like the way to go.

@chandavkl what other recommendations do you have anywhere in the Bay area for any type of Chinese restaurants ?

I’m not sure the original Koi Palace in Daly City is as good as the newer branches. HL Peninsula Pearl in Burlingame might be a better bet.

1 Like

Not much since you could otherwise do better in the San Gabriel Valley. Mongol Cafe for Mongolian food (not BBQ). Cantoo for Chinese Venezuelan. Eight Tables for a high end tasting menu. Mr. Jiu for Michelin starred goodness. Pineapple King for pineapple buns. All in SF city.

Just assume that we live in the Bay area and don’t come easily to the SGV (even on trips to LA we tend to have other restaurants on our mind) but would be interested to hear which other restaurants you liked in this area even if they might not reach SGV levels

Pretty much going to Cantonese restaurants in the Bay Area these days since that’s the one area we can get better food than at home. Only a couple of non Cantonese places come to mind, Pancake House and Terra Cotta Warrior. Also the Uyghur food had been good though the cast of characters keep changing. Also you might want to check out Nepali food downtown.

2 Likes

might want to do it just as a pilgrimage. but let’s see where our days and routes take us.

Mr. Jiu’s is great and I think there’s nothing like it in SoCal yet.

I’ll be the voice of dissent here and say that I did not enjoy my visits to Mister Jiu. As I’ve noted in the past, I like the idea of what Chef Brandon is trying to do, but I think the execution on the food itself is lacking.

1 Like

I had mostly great food there, but haven’t been since before Covid.

Give Dragon River a try. Their menu made the point they serve 家鄉菜, “Hometown Cooking”. Most of the items in the Hakka section there are quite good. You can also call ahead and request specific dishes like steam fish, etc.

New Hollywood in Chinatown is a modest HK style cafe with solid quality. Beef brisket, Stir Fry Beef Chow Fun, Dumplings are all good. But I go there for Pineapple and Cocktail Buns.

2 Likes