Disappointed with L.A.'s Burritos, think SD has better ones

Burritos “as made in the U.S.” were originally made by Mexican immigrants, so they’re just as Mexican as anything else.

like chinese immigrants all over the US made food that catered to chinese tastes?

1 Like

Yes! , like Italian immigrants made pizza that catered to Neapolitan tastes…

not sure if your’re being facetious or not, but the overall point is that burritos are mexican-american which is quite different from ethnic mexican cuisine. the only things even called burritos in mexico tend to be about the size of a lumpia and have a single ingredient as a filling.

by all means, argue the merits of one U.S. region’s burrito over another. but none are more authentic than any other.

3 Likes

My only point is there are plenty of Mexicans who like burritos, and as it was their forebears who created the dish they are still a perfectly valid way to assess whether a place is good enough. People are far too obsessed with what is authentic–burritos are a very authentic representation of cuisine from Mexican immigrants and descendants, and nobody should really give a shit if it is really sold the exact same way in some region in Mexico.

This is not in reference to you, but I kind of roll my eyes at the idea of some white dork going up to a 3rd generation Mexican family running a burrito shop and insisting their food isn’t authentically Mexican. And I don’t think the comparison to corporate branded food created in test kitchens is remotely apt.

6 Likes

I agree this is the sticking point. I get what @secretasianman is saying and think his point is valid, but the analogy to chain food is problematic. A burritos-to-orange-chicken comparison strikes me as more valid. Even better is pizza, as I mentioned above.

I dunno what you guys are talking about, Chipotle burritos are the epitome of affordability and authenticity.

They’re also great laxatives.

2 Likes

That or the red beets from the Gelson’s deli usually means for me that there’s gonna be some smooth moves the next day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Way TMI. But try this…

1 Like

Hey, blame @ipsedixit for starting it. I’m just goin’ w/ the flow, man. And in more ways than one. :wink:

1 Like

Aside from a few decent places like Chichen Itza, Sonoratown, and Coni Seafood, I find Mexican food in LA to be forgettable. I’ll also agree that LA has worse burritos than several other cities I’ve lived in.

lol?

2 Likes

LOL x 2

3 Likes

I fucking hate burritos . But go ahead and tell your go to.