Disappointed with L.A.'s Burritos, think SD has better ones

There is a new-ish Senor Fish in downtown in the new LAPD HQ, Second St. and Main. I like the scallop burrito a lot and their fish fajitas. Decently healthy lunch that costs less than $10.

My issue with cut burritos is that I have to decide which half to eat first.

It complicates my life unnecessarily.

1 Like

Face it. Our lives are about to get a little more complicated.

1 Like

Agreed. But no need to make it more complicated. Unnecessarily.

I usually prefer them uncut, but that really makes sense.

True.

That’s what she said.

2 Likes

Double entendre?

I’ve had a gazillion (Mission) burritos over the decades. Whether take out or eat in they weren’t cut. I cut them however because I like to eat from the center (more ‘stuff’ less tortilla).

Thanks, just started raging about cut burritos again.

I always loved the Sr Fish Scallop burrito in eagle rock. The old DTLA location rarely had it even though it was on the menu (or perhaps the specials board, I forget which).

Do you know if it is there reliably?

Hi – I go to that Senor Fish a lot and usually get the scallop & shrimp burrito. they always have it, but it’s unreliable as far as how good it will be. it’s very hit and miss there these days which is a bummer. although even the ‘misses’ are still OK, it’s just a disappointment when you know the potential.

I’m addicted to the burritos at Wake and Late

1 Like
2 Likes

That list loses a lot of credibility when it doesn’t have JV’s listed.

1 Like

My god, man, none of those places you mentioned --Nick’s, Lucky Boy, or Cofa(?)–have any Mexicans eating there…get it now?

And putting Nico’s standard asada burrito at #5.

And putting La Taqueria’s knotch-above-chipotle burrito on there. Specifying carnitas, no less, when any legit carnitas place can beat it with the only burrito they’ll make this week.

For this San Diegan, the best burrito is actually Tacos La Villa in Bakersfield. The hot cheeto california burrito. It sounds dumb, but it. is. not. dumb. At all.

My move at JV’s, by the way, is to get your favorite burrito made into a quesadilla. Their quesadillas are amazing.

2 Likes

Can’t speak for the other places you mention, but I have repeatedly seen Mexican-Americans eating burritos and burgers at both Lucky Boys, as well as working there. As recently as yesterday.

BTW here’s the full list of burritos in the ranking @Luluthemagnificent cited.

Lots of highly questionable choices, including not one but two nasty knife-and-fork burritos from LA.

You can almost always tell a burrito ranking is lazy BS when they put La Taqueria at the top.

I personally haven’t noticed a reliable correlation between burrito quality and the number of Mexicans eating there any more than I have between pizza quality and the number of Italians eating there.

2 Likes

there shouldn’t be any; burritos as made in the US are as mexican as pf chang’s is chinese. the funny thing is that i saw more latinos than asians eating at sam woo (on valley in alhambra) late last friday night.

2 Likes