Disappointed with L.A.'s Burritos, think SD has better ones

Wet burritos make the Baby Bigmouth cry.

1 Like

I agree with this. It’s always odd to me when someone requests an SF-style burrito, and someone points them to somewhere like El Tepeyac. It suggests the recommender is sending them to a cartoon/caricature of a mission-style burrito, not the real thing. The brilliance of a good mission style burrito is all in the balance and mix of textures.

1 Like

found it! an inspiring burrito was had.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-esquinita-los-angeles

I had a great SF-style burrito in LA tonight at Pepe’s Tacos in Culver City. Order the Pepe’s Burrito with pastor. They grill up the tortilla and get it crunchy. Loaded with all the shit you’d expect in a Mission burrito. It is comically large, easily splittable for two people. Of course, I ate the whole thing and feel like death, but it was worth it.

3 Likes

If it’s “crunchy” how do they roll it up?

They roll it up first then griddle it to get it crunchy

1 Like

That roll it up and then put it on the flat top to get the bottom crunchy/crispy.

OP, grab a burrito from Anaya… i’d go for barbacoa or asada or pollo mole or my favorite the veracruzan fish one

they closed, BTW. apparently you didnt like them enough.

had lunch with a friend who’s from the region directly west of where we were and she told me they actually call them tacos regionally. i should have pressed it further to clarify if that was more a reflection on the size than whether they’re wrapped but it didn’t occur to me. the point being that burritos are as mexican as the cuisine from pf changs et al is chinese. so any distinction between LA/SD burritos as being more or less authentic is nebulous at best.

Sadly.

Who closed? Anaya?

Yuca Pasadena.

What is with these places that cut the damn burritos in half? Makes me feel like I’m at some boring meeting with bad catered wraps. This is from Tocaya (which was awful – do not bother) but I’ve noticed Anaya does it too. Why?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyC98gxU1jn1ap168

1 Like

It’s to pay homage to the Instagram god.

6 Likes

Because it’s a restaurant not a truck or take out window. Much better presentation.

which also addresses why it was cut on a diagonal

So you can eat the good part right away, instead of having to gnaw through the end of a tortilla.

3 Likes

I hate cut burritos too, give me my that lovely wrapped meat tortilla baby

1 Like

Burritos should be eaten tightly wrapped then you peel down as you eat. I hate cut burritos too.

3 Likes