Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- AUGUST 2016 -- COLD (POSSIBLY FROZEN) NON-DESSERT DISHES

I’m looking forward to the “hatch chile roast” at my local Gelson’s (Century City) in September.

When in Sept is it? I don’t see it listed on the website (and never knew they did this!).

I believe it’s Sept 12. But actually, it might be W.Hollywood not CC. I’ll find out for sure.

Northgate on Inglewood/Braddock has them now -$35 a box. Roasters are there as well.

3 Likes

Okay… It’s Sept 9 @ W.Hollywood 5-9pm. Sorry.

1 Like

is there seriously not 1 posting from Yu Chun? Or is that like, too easy?

3 Likes

Did you ever go to Chilbo Myunok? If so, how do they compare? (and I have asked you this question b/f? I seriously feel like I’ve asked someone this b/f)

Wasn’t me. I just got excited but they’re closed. Really want to find an option as good as Yuchun. I kind of don’t like them monopolizing my neng experiences.

More acai goodness in Burbank. Acai Jungle Cafe.

Yes I’m eating this for lunch.

Premix:

A little mixed up so you can see the other goods:

2 Likes

you’re probably getting tired of these types of questions, but:

is this the place next to the judo joint on victory? near magnolia?

doesn’t even look like a restaurannt from the outside, and where do you park?

anything interesting besides bowls of weird fruit?

sounds like the same place, corner of Victory/Magnolia. I just park on the street, never had a problem.

They sell basic lunch time stuff, but healthy, so expect to pay a health premium for non-gigantic portions. That acai bowl was $10.

menu: https://squareup.com/store/acai-jungle-bowls-cafe

many thanks for your patience.

Clementine in Century City - They really do have a great little cold case. For home, I bought cold, Poached Wild King Salmon w/a tangy Shallot Crème Fraiche, Caprese Salad w/Heirloom Tomatoes & Basil Vinaigrette. They always add packages of the house baked breads. Not super fresh, but do the trick.

Assembled on a sturdy piece of bread is pretty much my favorite way to eat anything. I sprinkled sea salt and drizzled with the sauce and olive oil.

Perfect!

5 Likes

The bar at Craft in Century City - Gazpacho & a dirty Stoli Martini. I include the martini, because it is cold… and not a dessert. It did have 3 olives in it :wink:. Served with very good, rustic bread from The Larder.

They put garnishes in the bottom of the empty bowl (bits of almond, basil & tiny marinated tomatoes). Server poured the liquid before I could snap a picture. There’s a little heat and a slightly creamy consistency. I was disappointed they omitted the crouton crumble on top this time. But it was still very good.

8 Likes

So is the pour just for show, or does pouring it over right b/f eating cause the flavor of the garnishes to be stronger and more fresh-tasting?

Good question. I’ll ask next time. There was also crème fraiche with the garnishes. So it may have something to do with the dairy, which is a debate amongst the British (milk before or after). They did the same thing with the Velouté at Le Comptoir. Mind you, this was at Craft’s bar - by the bartender who was sweet, but did it really fast and wasn’t sure what the garnishes were. My description is from taste. It is a cool presentation. Shout-out to @Bookwich for telling me they offer it by the bowl at lunch. We previously had it as an amuse bouche during DineLA.

Here’s the Le Comptoir Velouté.

My niece’s birthday at New Happy Family - Vegetarian Chinese on Valley in Rosemead. We love this place.

Cold Hand Roll w/Mayo - I thought we were being hoodwinked, because it tastes like it’s splashed w/fish sauce. But I realize it’s the sea flavor of the nori… I think. Anyway, love it.

Pickled Cabbage - Looks ordinary, but surprisingly delish w/perfect amount of sweet & acidity.

Yelp pictures

4 Likes

Crab Louie Salad - Neiman Marcus in B.H. I’m not really a Neiman’s kind of girl. How I’ve ended up there twice in one month is too long a story. But the Louie is one of my favorite salads.

8 Likes

Some may think this belongs on a Home Cooking thread. But stay with me a bit. Some posters had been discussing prices - reasons they post or don’t post prices, cost of dining out vs. home, tipping, having the good things in life on a budget. So a couple of weeks ago we decided to eat-in one weekend. I bought some favorites, all from one store, Wholefoods. $90.00, including the Friday Special $1 Oysters. I won’t be redundant by posting more pictures of raw oysters.

Blinis w/Crème Fraiche, Wild Caught Cold Smoked Salmon, Salmon Caviar. Pepper Smoked Trout. Organic Beefsteak Tomatoes

They had Beluga & Ossetra. Out of my price range. Plus, who knows if it was premium.

Chicken Liver Pâté & Cold Roast Chicken

The little jars are recycled from hotel condiments. Perfect on charcuterie, cheese boards and such.

Here is my assessment. This was a great bargain, comparatively. The next day we had soft scrambled eggs w/caviar, smoked fish & crème fraiche for breakfast, pâté sandwiches for lunch.

Now the bad. The oysters were a disaster. They offered to shuck them, but I was buying them on Friday for a Saturday meal. Note to shoppers, the fishmonger said he would have given them to me for $1 on Saturday too :wink:. Anyway, I’m not a fast shucker. So they were not super cold or fresh and the sea water spilled out… Yuk! We’ll be sticking to restaurants for raw oysters.

I had to go to Petrossian in W. Hollywood and slurp down one of these, to get rid of the memory and taste quickly. $12.00 of delicious.

Online photo

7 Likes

What a decadent and luxurious weekend! :smiley:

2 Likes