Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- AUGUST 2016 -- COLD (POSSIBLY FROZEN) NON-DESSERT DISHES

:blush: The Oyster & Caviar was after work on Monday. I slipped in on my way home. Just 10 minutes and the world was right again. I’m lucky I didn’t poison my family with my home oyster experiment. But for the most part it really was tasty weekend.

Where else in LA do you like the Crab Louie?

Honestly, I don’t see it on a lot of menus. Maybe it’s considered old-fashioned. When I wrote I love the Louie I meant the salad, not necessarily Neiman’s. It was good, because it’s a “composed salad” (not mixed together), the avocado & other components were really fresh, dressing was not from a bottle. But I suspect the crab was not brought there that day :wink:.

I used to eat a dish called Tartare Tower at a long closed sushi spot. It had Spicy Albacore, Crab, Avocado, Marscapone, served w/Wonton Chips. Looked a little like this.

If anyone sees the Louie or something similar on a menu give me a shout-out.

1 Like

Oysters and caviar as a decadent little mid-day snack. I love it. And $12 is so reasonable. Who would have guessed? :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I think Cameron’s in Pasadena, on Colorado Blvd, offers a Crab Louis salad (as well as one with bay shrimp). Can’t vouch for it, though.

Ohhh… I like bay shrimp salad even better.

1 Like

Not sure if they still have it on the menu, but Bottega Louie does a great Shrimp Louie salad. I’m not a huge fan of the place in general, but that salad is a beautiful thing.

I have mixed feelings about Bottega Louie too. Not all bad. I wrote a report about it. But thanks for the Shrimp Louie tip. I will definitely order it next time there.

Momed on Bevery Dr in B.H. Eastern Mediterranean, sourcing local, seasonal, organic food served in a modern setting.

Momed Plate
My selections were Traditional Hummus, Avocado Hummus & Muhammara.

I usually prefer creamier hummus (courser can be watery), but this one has texture and flavor. Avocado Hummus is genius. I love it. The Muhammara is spicy, made w/roasted red peppers, walnuts, pomegranate molasses, cumin & olive oil. The trio came w/fluffy, hot baked pita.

Pear & Citrus Salad
Endive, Fennel, Orange, Pear, Pomegranate, Creamy Citrus Vinaigrette.

Deli & Dessert Case

Coffee & Wine Bar

Seating Areas

This is a large space. Not pictured is a beverage case, more seating in & outside.

With a large bottle of sparkling water the price is $39.00 + tip. Good for 2 people.

They also do Happy Hours and $25.00 3-course dinner Mondays, 50% off wine Tuesdays, Free-cork Wednesdays

6 Likes

My final entry in the Cold Non-Dessert Dish of the Month. Clementine in Century City… Yes again. You could seriously do a whole cold dish of the month in this one restaurant and not repeat.

Chilled Avocado Corn Soup

This incredibly fresh & delicious soup is made with smooth puréed avocado, charred fresh sweet corn, cream, a little pepper heat and drizzled w/cilantro vinaigrette.

Deviled Eggs

Tasty, creamy filling!

I took home this Coctel de Camaron (Mexican Shrimp Cocktail)

It has the components of gazpacho, adding shrimp, avocado, jalapeños, cilantro and a tasty combo of tomato juice and ketchup. I’m not sure what else, but this is great.

Can’t price accurately, because I was also picking up a bunch of stuff for other people.

I had a really good DOTM experience and am sorry it’s ending.

5 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice pics and reporting! :slight_smile: I’ve never heard of Momed before. That Hummus Trio plate looks great and the salad as well. :slight_smile:

Have you tried any of their cooked dishes before? How is it?

Thanks!

Great pics. Really enjoy Momed. The space is nice and open, and the food dishes are contemporary Cal-Med in a good way. It was also a hit with our relatives from Singapore.

Is the avocado hummus primarily made w/ avocado, or is it mainly traditional hummus with a touch of avocado?

Thanks @Chowseeker1999 -

They also have a location in Atwater Village.

The trio is a great menu item. You can choose 1,3 or 5 items from an assortment of salads, dips & spreads. I’ve also had the Flatbreads, Moroccan Grilled Artichokes w/Lemon Aioli and Grilled Sea Bass (not presently on the menu) - all very good. My husband enjoyed the Greek Meatballs made w/lamb, beef, chermoula, pine nuts, pomegranate & feta. Also, I think the 3-Course Supper is mostly cooked in a tajine.

Thanks @bulavinaka - Glad your family liked it. Good choice. The open space and menu has something for everyone. Plus it’s in a good location for tourists. I still want to get over to your rec, MZuma. But Momed is between my work & home, so it’s really easy. I hope they survive. The patio was packed. But I was the only customer inside. Hopefully it was because it was after lunch, before dinner.

Hi @paranoidgarliclover - Some days the Avocado Hummus has a more generous amount of avocado. But it is mainly hummus w/a dose of avocado. It is very smooth, but w/more acidity than traditional hummus.

Good stuff.

1 Like