Don Francisco's Coffee Casa Cubana

Having taken a trip to Miami this year, where I ate some “authentic” Cuban coffee and sandwiches in Little Havana, I was excited to try this new casual spot in the Spring Arcade in DTLA. Very charming spot, fresh and clean interior, with all the classics. Menu includes cuban coffees, sandwiches, pastries, and breakfast. Wine and beer as well. I started with the basics: An espresso and cubano sandwich.

Assuming the cubanos I had in Miami were closer to the OG versions, I found the one here to be fairly tasty, but more mild in flavor and much less rich. Bread tasted fresh and flaky, but interior meats were perhaps more lean tasting than I was expecting. The sandwich wasn’t greasy / buttery at all, which explains some of the more mild flavors. Was expecting rich pork and so much butter that the paper underneath turned clear. Is this a standard cubano or have I just not had the healthier kind before? I could probably eat this several times a week as a quick lunch.

I’ll be back at some point, but until I try more of the menu, I can’t recommend coming in from outside of DTLA for it. Still, I left happy.

https://www.dfcasacubana.com/
541 S Spring St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Daily 7am - 7pm
(213) 537-0323

6 Likes

Interesting story!

Darn. My compulsive need to try any Cuban sandwich touting itself as authentic has again led me astray. The bread was all wrong, was too buttered, the lechon was unremarkable, and worst of all, the pickles were sweet for some ungodly reason…

The cafe cubano was perfect though, so big points for that.

1 Like

Have you tried the one at Cafe Cuba in Hawthorne? I can’t speak for authenticity, but it was very tasty. The potato balls were great, too.

Cafe Cuba & Cakes
12215 Hawthorne Blvd
Hawthorne, CA 90250

1 Like