Dry aged steaks - what are your latest go to butchers?

Believe it or not Ralphs has them and they are pretty good.

Costco doesn’t have dry aged but the prime rib eye cap is great if available.

I think Whole Foods is wet aged.

Bristol Farms dry aged NY strip is a fantastic steak.

Assuming you meant WhOle Foods; offers whiskey dry aged steaks

1 Like

Yup. I remember somebody telling me that Whole Foods was actually wet aged but I stand corrected. I didn’t care for the one dry aged steak I had from WF but much of it was based on QPR vs other steak options available to me.

Also this

2 Likes

has anyone done these sales before? is it a line at 9 AM?

I haven’t been to this particular sale before. There was not a line at 9am for another sale at Eataly but you should definitely plan on going on the first few hours to get a decent selection. I’m hoping to get there on Saturday around 10am.

I hope there is no line at 9am. I’m planning on serving steak for super bowl.

Not the area you are interested in but eataly’s dry aged steaks are EXTREMELY dry aged.
Not my cup of tea at all - almost gangrenous blue cheese. But if that’s your thang, that’s the place

1 Like

“Wet aged” seems like a bogus term to me. Nothing interesting happens when the meat is sitting around cryovac’d at 32 degrees.

1 Like

Enzymes are still active at that temperature

1 Like

Many meat companies claim that “wet aging” tenderizes beef, and some claim it improves the flavor, but I’ve yet to see a taste-off between cryovac’d beef that’s been refrigerated for a few days vs. a few weeks.

Wet age dry age . I’ll lean towards the dry . Wet aged, marinated just steams the meat when cooking . It’s ok for skirt steaks when grilling. A nice prime piece of beef needs nothing else beside salt and pepper before cooking .

1 Like

I’m late to the party here. Obviously I should’ve searched FTC earlier… I’ve been pretty lost since Harvey retired and his kids (and the apprentice he hired in the final months?) didn’t take over. Are there ANY butchers doing what he did now within LA?

I have sources for specific cuts of meat and bones + offal, but I don’t have that kind of relationship outside of farmer’s market vendors (limited supply + limited windows) or like… driving all the way to Harmony Farms. And I certainly don’t have a one stop shop now.

Any recommendations appreciated.

3 Likes

What exactly do you mean when you say “what [Harvey] did”? What are you looking for now? I can confirm that Huntington Meats still has a strong dry-age offering, but I’m not sure if there are other aspects you are looking for as well.

1 Like

I’m guessing he means custom butchery / aging. I had him seam out a leg of lamb for me into the individual muscles for me as an easy example

1 Like

Nothing in LA, but you can call Bryan Flannery and they will probably do custom stuff.

2 Likes

yeah, this. thanks for the replies! i’ll try Flannery

1 Like

Eagle Yu at meat and essentials in San Marino will do custom butchery for you.

2 Likes

+1 for Flannery if you’re willing to do mail order. Heavy presence in the post-Guss era L.A. restaurant steak scene.

Edward’s Dry Aged Meats in NorCal also comes highly recommended.

1 Like