Eataly - Wagyu boneless ribeye

1 Like

What did Lt Col Bill Kilgore like the smell of in the morning?

I sear when the meat hits around 118Ā°. Ends up at about 125Ā°. A torch isnā€™t in my reportoire.

1 Like

I grabbed a couple of these today. They look pretty damn good.
Iā€™m gonna bbq them on a raging hot grill and finish in the oven if need be.
Iā€™ll let you know how they turn out.

3 Likes

Nice! I also took the plunge and picked up a couple small ones at Eataly today. Cooking will happen tomorrow evening probably.

5 Likes

Or even 117.

For really thick ones like that I use the jfood technique I shared above. Sear on one side on the cooktop and then into the oven. And definitely a meat thermometer.

Steaks turned out fantastic. Texture was melt in your mouth orgasmic. Flavor was a little muted but I seasoned heavily with course sea salt which helped. I would definitely buy again if on sale but wouldnā€™t pay full price for these.

I grilled them on a piping hot grill for four minutes per side. They definitely flared up the grill more so than the usual steaks I grill. But I usually tend to grill leaner cuts like NY strips. Donā€™t forget to rest them for at least five minutes. Turned out a perfect rare to medium rare.

14 Likes

Looks great.

Were they filet mignon? Not a ton of flavor so getting it from the ā€˜crustā€™ is definitely preferred IMO.

Nice, and I grill almost every day. Reverse sear is great, but turning on an oven is the last thing I want to do with air conditioning running.

Glad to see someone else who grills all the time. We grill in snow storms! The grill is under an eave and our jackets have hoods :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I Iive in Laguna Beach so no snow. But it took 6 months for my kitchen remodel- so I became quite clever at using my grill if I didnā€™t want to eat out.

The ATK (Americaā€™s Test Kitchen) method on flank steak is flawless! Always comes out perfectly tasty. (Of course their flavored butter also helps.) Someone mentioned this on a post above as I recall.

For real steaks, like rib-eyes or rib eye cap steaks, I always use an oven-in temperature probe to gauge the temperature of the beef as it sears and then cooks in a low oven. It is essential to gauge the amount of doneness. given that the thickness, quality of beef, and other variables can make it hard to predict the perfect timing without a thermometer. There is also the ā€œcarryoverā€ factor, which as it rests after cooking, is usually less with a lower oven temperature and more with a higher one, and even with that said, can still be somewhat unpredictable.

1 Like

Pics of the remodel?

FB_IMG_1468088143127

Hereā€™s the view from the kitchen window @not_tellin.

5 Likes

SIX MONTHS!!! For a remodel??? Whew.

Lucky you! Love Laguna Beach. Took the fam there just last weekend for a getaway.

5 Likes

Even though the mods are lenient, I donā€™t want to go anymore off topic. I know there was an old CH thread where posters showed pics of their kitchens. Iā€™ll see if I can find it.

Or maybe use that to start a new one. I think people would enjoy it and also learn from it. What to do and not do. Weā€™ve done two Ikea kitchens btw.