Enter The Dragon - Striving for the Pinnacle of Dim Sum Goodness! Dragon Beaux [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

12 Likes

Do they do takeout? Iā€™m going to be in SF next month but with 11 dogsā€¦

5 Likes

God, that stuff sounds like it puts LA dim sum to shame! BTW, I really like taro, too. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @Ns1,

Wow! 11 dogs?! Will you be taking them everywhere with you? :smile: :open_mouth:

1 Like

The best roast pork dishes Iā€™ve had have been at Koi. Your experience here confirms that these folks know their pig. Like you, I was impressed with all aspects. And what really leaps out is how fresh and clean the pork tastes.

2 Likes

You had me at glowing fireballsā€¦

This was a wonderful review. This place has been recommend to me several times, but now Iā€™m convinced. Next trip north, Dragon Beaux.

2 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Yah, I love L.A., but being honest, Dragon Beaux (sans the Shrimp Dumpling) is just another tier up from L.A.'s best. It makes me depressed when I think about eating Dim Sum in L.A. now. :cry: :sweat_smile:

Hi @bulavinaka,

Nice! :slight_smile: Definitely give Dragon Beaux a try the next time youā€™re in the area.

1 Like

But it reads like LA has a depth and breadth that SF will likely never have.

Hi @catholiver,

Depth and breadth in terms of cuisines, perhaps. But for Dim Sum? I think Dragon Beaux has Quality, Depth and Breadth all in one place(!). :open_mouth:

Their menu is extensive, they have all the classics and they innovate on new items. I still need to try more dishes, but based on our visit and @PorkyBellyā€™s great reports, I think they are clearly tops.

But beyond that, I donā€™t really need more Dim Sum houses that are average or worse (for ā€œBreadthā€ in that way). If one place can do it all, and do it very well (or even be the clear cut best), thatā€™s all we can ask for. :slight_smile: Well, and that itā€™s right in our neighborhood. :wink:

After La Ciccia, consider stopping by Dragon Beaux and trying that as well on your next visit. :slight_smile:

In general LA is ahead of SF in depth and breadth. However for dim sum, Iā€™m leaning to the similar, but unrelated Hong Kong Lounge I and Hong Kong Lounge II, as also beating any LA dim sum.

3 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m talking about pure #s not quality.

That pork belly looks amazing. Is that an ā€˜inauthenticā€™ addition to dim sum? I wouldnā€™t complain but have never seen it. Iā€™ve also avoided XLB in dim restaurants as itā€™s Taiwanese but it seems like more and more dim sum places have added it. Maybe cause itā€™s gotten so trendy.

I bought a big olā€™ Ford extended van for this exact purpose - rolling around with 11 dogs, buying takeout.

Soā€¦did you see any takeout? lol. Although Iā€™m not sure that scallop shu mai would be great as takeout; regardless, I must have that in my life.

3 Likes

Koi Palace and Dragon Beauxā€™s execution of the standard har gow can be inconsistent, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had a visit where the skins did not puncture while being picked up, but other times at least the insides were not oversteamed and still had some liquid inside.

The mushroom buns are fun, where the steamed bun exterior mirrors the pattern of a shitake. The XLBs are gimmicky (though fun to try once) as is the abalone puff which is otherwise instagrammable food.

At night time, DB does Cantonese style hot pot (da bin lo) and is probably the most upscale and modern take. Expats may complain that it is expensive, but it is really good quality (Cantonese winter melon broth base is quite excellent). Itā€™s like eating yakiniku, you pretty much pay per plate and it adds up. But itā€™s quite an exquisite experience, especially for the Real Housewives of Chinese expats. Plus you canā€™t really find da bin lo elsewhere, but you do have a gazillion mini regional Chinese/Taiwanese hot pot restaurants doing Sichuan/Korean style/Miso/Thai/Dongbei styles under one roof.

DB/Koi Palace does have a killer XO sauce though.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate har gow. Both times Iā€™ve been their har gow has beaten any example Iā€™ve had in LA by a mile - though of course that pork belly dish is tops.

1 Like

Hi @Ns1,

I just called Dragon Beaux for you: Yes! They do Takeout for Dim Sum. :slight_smile: Yay. I hope you enjoy your visit and make sure you eat it as soon as possible (donā€™t let it steam too long in the To-Go containers). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

1 Like

Iā€™m picturing you pulled over on a steep SF street, attempting to devour the dim sum whilst fending off 11 inquisitive, ravenous pups.

If this happens, Iā€™d really appreciate video!

2 Likes

No need to fend.

although it would probably look something like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUuYXC6jDh_/?taken-by=queensbeststumpydogrescue

10 Likes

Thanks @Bookwich. :slight_smile: Iā€™m looking forward to your review and hope you enjoy your visit. :slight_smile: