ESGV Updates (Rowland Hts., Hacienda Hts., etc.)

Little Shanghai was closed for renovation when I went by last month. Don’t know if they finished or if it’s still Little Shanghai. And isn’t that court closed Tuesdays?

Update: They just reopened and the entire court is closed on Tuesday.

S&W is excellent but Happy Duck House in the same plaza is better. How about the original Tasty Noodle House in the same plaza as Earthen? Hard to believe that sprawling chain started so modestly.

i’ve been to earthen & tasty noodle. unfamiliar with happy duck house. i may try them next week.

thanks to all.

BreadFish Cafe. Lu Rou Fan and Pork Chop Rice.

Lu’s Garden. The usual suspects…sweet potato porridge, Flies Head, Eggplant

Stinky Tofu King. Lu Rou Fan. Beef Noodle Soup. Stinky Tofu. Ba Wan/Meatball. Blood Cake.

Simbala. Sausage Rice.

Yi Mei. Fan Tuan/rice roll. Dan Bing/egg crepe. Daikon cake. Soy milk. Etc etc.
Maybe try Qing Feng Bao for the same Taiwanese breakfast stuff. (I haven’t been)

Tai Ping Sa Choi Kee. Canto Beef Brisket Noodles and Canto Beef Offal.

Seafood Palace. Chiu Chow.

Happy Family. Y’all are gonna laugh but I love the vegetarian versions of orange chicken and General Tso’s lol. Of course eat your veggies!

Newport Seafood. Shaking Beef and Ong Choy.

Mr Rice Yunnan Noodle…I kinda wanna try it, haven’t ate here yet so can’t vouch for it.

Monja Taiker…I should really try this place out.

Rolling Wok and Shau May…scrambled egg and tomatoes aka LAZY CHEAP ass Chinese lunch because what kind of Chinese person are you if you can’t make scrambled eggs and tomatoes!!!

There is a Delicious Food Corner.

Shanxi Noodle House…on my to do list.

Cluck2Go…average chicken rice, sauces are not as good as Savoy.

AVOID Diamond Plaza if you can or go thru the back way. That area is such a clusterfuk with construction.

Dessert…you got Blackball, Meet Fresh, Sweet Honey, Class 302, Sul and Beans, Phoenix.

I didn’t check all of the above on their Tuesday hours but just throwing out some places that I have eaten and enjoyed.

4 Likes

Dimond Plaza back door is closed now. Traffic at front entry is much better than a few months ago.

thanks. most of those places have WSGV counterparts that i’ve tried.

monja taiker: wasn’t real excited about it but the crispy BBQ pork

was good.

shanxi noodle house. the oat noodles were interesting. two different sauces. kinda like if you took the wife’s special sauce from lao xi in arcadia and made it binary.

eat them before they get cold

robot noodle whacker

the HH location of breadfish is to go only according to yelp.

a little farther east but might merit a visit.

One less Chinese chef working due to automation…

That robot noodle whacker (CyberDine Systems X-1000) is out there. It can’t be reasoned with, it can’t be bargained with. It doesn’t feel pity of remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop. Ever.

(… all of which means that the restaurant might stay open later hours. Yay!)

3 Likes

the facial expression is much too friendly for an ethnic chinese restaurant wait staff.

Machines, now doing it better than their makers.

i looked up happy duck house and according to yelp, they’re off fullterton while s & w is in industry. did one move?

No they’re both in the center on the SW corner of Gale and Fullerton Rd. that is only accessible from Gale. Technically S & W “fronts” on Fullerton while Happy Duck House fronts on Gale, but they both have Gale Ave. street addresses.

Yelpers (and many others, including writers and some here and at CH) are notorious for not knowing city boundaries (or even where some are).

In their defense, the boundaries of the City of Industry are ridiculous. I often have to double or triple check to see whether a restaurant is in Industry or Rowland Heights. And, that is even with my knowledge of Los Angeles County cities and local geography.

1 Like

the addresses are clearly by each other numerically, though that didn’t impinge on my long term memory until now. i think i assumed s & w was off hacienda for no good reason.

For the most part, Rowland Heights is basically south of the 60 Fwy and starting from In N Out Burger to the west. City of Industry mainly encompasses the area between the 60 Fwy to the South and Valley Blvd to the North. That’s the easiest way for me to tell the difference between CoI and RH.

1 Like

not really an update, since it’s been there a while but cocoin kitchen (which has been mentioned pretty much only in passing on FTC) on colima west of hacienda makes a pretty good hainan chicken rice which i tried this week,

1/2 chicken $13.99 was considered a better deal vs. the $10 plate

though we did supplement that with two lunch specials. (my companion and i are pretty big eaters.)

fish filet in black bean. subtly done. not overpoweringly black bean,

mongolian beef (not my choice) with a lot of onions…

but back to the HCR - very moist, some might describe it as greasy, but i must be part jewish since i love schmaltz. minus a point or two for not having sweet soy sauce. the chili sauce was more latent spicy than spicy - but better than using the sriracha which was available on the table. back to the fattiness - if you like seared really fatty ohtoro so that the fat liquifies a bit, you’ll like this chicken.

4 Likes

Here’s an update. Earthen must have switched chefs/cooks/owners.

The green onion pancake is no longer airy and crispy.

1 Like

The dumplings are 99Ranch Wei Chuan level.

And there is no crowds.

A big hard NO on Earthen

1 Like

That’s terrible to hear. Haven’t been to Earthen in about 4-6 weeks. Last time we went the jjam ppong was not good. Had a lot more oil than usual and they added some type of mushroom that had an awful aroma usually not in the broth.

Damn, G.

it’s been my stance that if you got anything other than the shandong chicken and the scallion pancake at earthen you had only yourself to blame. so, sorry to hear about the pancake.