Exploring Banh Mi - The Vietnamese Sandwich Interpreted, Overkilled and Sublime - Gjusta, Little Sister, Baguette City, Saigon Bakery & Ba Le Sandwiches (Westminster)

Next time you’re down there, try the new viet outdoor breakfast brunch spot nep cafe. They are channeling the modern eateries found in vietnam with takes on bo ne ( a very popular breakfast item in Saigon of steak and eggs with pate and baguette) the name bo ne literally translates to dodging cow—presumably because these splattering of grease and fat when it hits the hot cast iron plate often in the shape of a cow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD9hAiAhv9c/?igshid=duxhod5ob2ng
And Hanoi egg coffee

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDb-u_fJbK7/?igshid=c3ogmshqkjzf

10 Likes

Look who went where today…

9 Likes

As they say “Game Recognize Game”

3 Likes

I also wonder who lurks here! Because it seems we are the only ones who geek out on this place.

4 Likes

Vietnamese people just see it as an OG banh mi shop.

3 Likes

So I stopped by Ba Le Westminster this past weekend and the banh mi was legendary status. Ba Le Westminster is back at my top banh mi in SoCal based on this visit. The bread was perfection, so flakey, crusty and a flawless texture. No cutting your gums or roof of your mouth with this baguette.

The jalapeno had a great zip of spice and as usual, the veggies were cut nicely. I got a banh mi dac biet, thit nuong and ga. All were fabulous, however this was my first time having the banh mi ga here and where has this been all my life. The chicken is luscious, nice savory flavor and they even add the chicken skin in as well. But what I love about this one is the fried shallots inside just sets it off. The garlic aioli and fried shallots are just so savory and delicious, a nice heat from the jalapeño, all balanced with the slightly sweet pickled veggies. And the perfect fuckin bread,

@Chowseeker1999 was right, this is the best banh mi ga in the city I have found.

Banh mi dac biet

Banh mi thit nuong

Banh mi ga

16 Likes

For the Egg Banh Mi at Ba Le…

BYOGS (Bring Your Own Grilled Spam) would be insane with sunny side up eggs and all the fixings (pickle veg, jalapeño, pate, mayo)

2 Likes

I am thinking my next trip with be chicken add soft cooked scrambled eggs at Ba Le, used to get this all the time at OC Poultry Market so I am thinking this may be epic from Ba Le.

2 Likes

I have a question re Ba Le. I am trying to convince my wife to take the trip down to try it but, she hates pate. Will they make the egg banh mi without pate, or do we basically need to live with it/take it off ourself?

2 Likes

You just need to say no pâté. It’s not a big deal.

7 Likes

Yup what attran says you can add/take off things with no problem. Hopefully she likes mayo, because low key they make the best. A stop by Cococane and Oliboli Donuts could also make the trip worth it!!

4 Likes

I am pretty sure the egg banh mi does not come with pate.

I’m an animal that asks for extra pâté in my banh mi. I love it.

8 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never gotten it from there with pate

Visited Banh Mi Saigon / Saigon’s Bakery & Sandwiches (8118 Garvey Ave Ste I, Rosemead, CA 91770) for the first time for the Egg Banh Mi today. Appreciate all the great info posted in this thread.

I didn’t ask for any modifications with the eggs (did ask for no pate). But I would say that although the yolk wasn’t runny, the eggs were soft and didn’t seem overdone or dry either. I didn’t try it before COVID so I don’t have that for comparison. Overall thought it was good, especially the bread. Nice to try a different kind of banh mi for a change.

Btw, there was an OG outside next to the door singing karaoke with a loud ass speaker. First thought was wow, this place is legit :grin:; second thought was maybe not best practices for COVID :grimacing:

10 Likes

Ba Le - Westminster

Banh mi ga + trung :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

How is this not any every listicle for sandwiches? :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

7 Likes

Looks like I’ll be close to Ba Le in Alhambra this week so I’m planning to swing by. What would be everyone’s suggestion for a bang bang in the neighborhood?

Ba Le Sandwich Shop, 1426 S Atlantic Blvd, Alhambra, CA 91803

2 Likes

in this weather, the stone pot pho at golden delight.

5 Likes

@hppzz Not sure about LA currently, but the “Pho” French dip Banh Mi… with Pho broth used to be fairly popular in the Midwest almost a decade ago. Is this a thing here anymore on this side of the coast? It got pretty hot around 2012 or something everywhere I went. My friend ran a few food trucks around this concept lol I’m not crazy about it, just there for culture :sweat_smile:

@rohto have you been to this place?
Nem Nướng Khánh Hoà
(626) 943-7645

It’s right down the street. I would start eating at Nem Nuong Khanh Hoa before getting a sandwich Togo. It’s the only Vietnamese spot I occasionally eat in LA. Nothing is overpowering in seasoning there, almost quite gentle comparing to others imo. Cash only.

For a very long time, I always get the “Đặc biệt for 2” aka “Special order for 2” of just a varieties of grilled porks & vegetables to roll up (think of bossam). Very light and fun to roll. They have the frozen pork patties Togo so you can make it at home, too.

The owner nagged me to eat something else recently, so I tried their pork chop rice dish (#21a) and it was tasty. I used to eat this in Sai Gon for breakfast, before school when I was a baby. A comfortable memory!

Menu & more photos

7 Likes