Exploring Banh Mi - The Vietnamese Sandwich Interpreted, Overkilled and Sublime - Gjusta, Little Sister, Baguette City, Saigon Bakery & Ba Le Sandwiches (Westminster)

Had this for the first time in LV at an SF export

3 Likes

@Ns1 so it lives on, hahaha. Will be good for a rainy day.
BTW do you know where to get a tasty version of this? I crave for this one from time to time for childhood memories lol

1 Like

Ba Le in SGV is nowhere near as good as the Westminster location. My suggestion is to grab a dac biet at Banh Mi My Tho on Garvey and a sugar cane juice across the street at Fresh Canes. Also, Ruby BBQ is near by for roast pork belly and roast duck (cash only). Los Toros Meat Market on Garvey and San Gabriel has my favorite tortilla chips, definitely grab a bag to take home. Then stop at Medan Kitchen for some tasty treats.

13 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate it!

2 Likes

the OG banh mi my tho at valley & 3rd is a lot closer to ba le if he’s going to alhambra anyway. like 6-7 blocks away. sometimes the roll is a bit dry but i think their fillings are the best in the area.

covering that strip of valley from atlantic to garfield:

• ace burger (near 5th & valley) is nearby if you want to try a recreation of a shanghai-style KFC burger. a little pricey for the size, but that facilitates the bang-bang. but they don’t open until 2pm;
  • at garfield/valley you have recently opened luyixian with some non-mala chuan dishes. if you like pigs feet that’s a popular item there. add their homemade chopped chile mix;
  • across the street from them is ipoh kopitaam (malaysian). everything there is pretty good, but i suppose try the hainan chicken rice small serving works in your favor for bang-bang;
  • doubling back to atlantic, there’s (or was) a little taiwanese place that does take out only that i kinda liked. you walk in and choose from the items written on the board that day. alas i forget the name and the exact location;
  • going west, from atlantic, the nem nuong at the afore mentioned nem nuong khan hoa are quite tasty;
  • and if it was tuesday, fish taco tuesday at baja cali fish & taco. these fish tacos are huge for $1-1.25;
6 Likes

Do you mind me asking why the Westminster location is better? We’ve visited the Ba Le in Alhambra a couple times in the past few months and we liked it a lot. We’d probably go there over My Tho (although they’re both good options) for the bread and pate alone.

1 Like