Farmers market, currently in season PSA

Speaking of Farmers Markets. Here’s a PSA. I was recently at the Melrose Farmers Market and was shocked and appalled to see greenhouse/hothouse tomatoes, fruits & berries! The worker flat out said “They don’t taste good”. I thought there were rules about this practice and the whole purpose of farmers markets was to get what’s in season from growers. It throws me off because not only do I shop at farmers markets to get what’s in season, it informs when and what I buy at the grocery store. Even the dinky, farmers market on La Cienega & 8th sells only in-season product! I found that out when I was there before summer and there were absolutely no tomatoes, except one guy selling green ones. It let me know that it may be a little rundown market but they abide by the rules of FARMERS markets. I thought all of them were required to do so!

2 Likes

The only rule I know is that they have to be growers to sell.

1 Like

La Cienega and 18th? They have a great vendor with herbs and greens. Actually, they have great vendors for everything. Kind of small and basic, but serviceable.

A bit of gossip, the manager that was hired to take over Culver City Farmers Market last year brought some changes, and the citizenry is annoyed. She got rid of all the fun children’s activities, music, local community input. Now it’s like shopping for very good produce at a produce aisle. No community feeling at all.

The manager’s only previous experience is that La Cienega market and the one at Kaiser on Venice, which is the most depressing attempt at a farmers market ever. The CC market is becoming more and more joyless, plus little dogs over running the place every time I’ve gone.

Too bad, because they have some nice vendors.

1 Like

Somewhat cheating, but the Frua grapefruits at the Cal Poly Pomona farm store are incredible. Ridiculous amount of seeds, but so sweet. I either juice them or just cut around the seedy interior like it’s a pit.

1 Like

The sumo is so good but hurts the wallet so much at $3.99 per lb. I spotted them at Tokyo Central for $4.29 per lb. My kids would eat literally like $15 worth of citrus per day. We had to officially stop buying these.

2 Likes

Enjoy cara caras instead.

We do but not the same as a dekopan.

1 Like

I understand.

1 Like

I bought this yesterday, it’s the same I think. Smells great.

P.S. My son made that blue bowl in his #seniorslacker ceramics class. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi @Bookwich -

I agree. The space was never much to look at and now they moved them into an even less attractive part of the lot, but I’ve always found good stuff there. I have some photos and will post soon. After the experience at Melrose I appreciate La Cienega much more.

That’s too bad about Culver City. Is that the one on Venice Blvd? I always liked that one.

Hint: the Beverly Hills Farmers Market is another good small market. I’ve kinda’ kept this secret, but that’s not really fair, is it? :relaxed: Anyhoo, when people would complain about the big markets like Hollywood and Santa Monica running out of varieties early in the day at Harry’s Berries I would smile because even late in the day their B.H. stall would have everything. It must not be a destination FM for chefs and hounds. They also have fun events for families - pie baking contests, petting zoos, etc. They used to have an annual chili cook-off, but they kinda’ blew that one with their weird judging. The circuit pros got frustrated and stopped participating. The last year they had it an organizer told me they were literally pulling folks off the street to compete the week before. I decided “Why not? I’ve got a pretty good recipe. I’ll do it next year.” But nope, it’s no more.

Happy Farmers Marketing!

1 Like

I thought that’s what they’re called and even wrote it, then backspaced in case I was wrong. :wink:

Every season you mention those cara caras @J_L and every time I want to find them. Where do you get them?

Has anyone seen La Bahn ranch at any of the farmer’s markets recently?
The market manager kicked them out of the La Cienega mkt on rumors that they weren’t selling their own eggs but I am highly skeptical of that because their eggs never tasted like anyone elses and were by far the best eggs I’ve had

1 Like

La Bahn has the best eggs. The lines at the Saturday Irvine farmers market have been out of control lately. About 15-20 minutes anytime after 9am.

I haven’t been in a few weeks but they are at the Saturday Irvine farmers market and Electric City Butcher also sells La Bahn eggs.

1 Like

Most farmers markets right now, Whole Foods, also. Heck even Smart & Final has bags of them right now…

2 Likes

I saw them at Ralph’s the other day.

1 Like

Yep, not exactly unicorns…

All this talk of cara caras has made me thirsty. Just squeezed me a fresh glass of cara cara juice. Delicious.

3 Likes

Ugh. Irvine’s too far for me but I’m glad to see that they’re getting some love. Thanks for the info!

I heard they were at Hollywood but that was a couple years ago. I guess I’ll have to actually check it out one day

Oh okay, then I’ve probably had them and didn’t pay attention to the label. I’m like that sometimes. Like those La Bahn Ranch eggs you guys are talking about. I called them “those peeps at the farmers market with the good eggs.”

Last time I bought eggs from them one had twins.

…then twice in one month (Chino Valley Ranchers)

Is this some kind of sign of good luck? :smiley:

4 Likes

Yep, I bought 3 for $3.71 (.98lb) and wish I’d gotten more. It’s mostly just the two of us now, so it’s not a bad price for such deliciousness.