Farmers market, currently in season PSA

Wow, back at y’all! :blush: Thanks!

I’ll do a little something on that vendor to the right of Carlos’. She was there the 2nd weekend selling stone fruits. We were loaded down with stuff, but couldn’t walk past the only other produce vendor at the market. :peach:

Right now it’s less of a PSA and more of a BOLO @Chowseeker1999. I emailed Carlos and will also call the number on the sign. :crossed_fingers:

You’re so right about farmers markets vs. grocery stores. I started getting the CSA boxes too. It’s like, Ohhh… so this is how it’s supposed to taste. I remember now.

I think farmers markets can also improve how we shop in a grocery store. By becoming familiar with in-season produce we can make better choices at brick & mortars. Tomatoes are a big problem. It would be inconceivable to walk in a grocery store and not find tomatoes any time of year, no matter how bad they taste. But I was at the farmers market on La Cienega and Washington a couple months ago and something seemed off. I realized there was only one vendor with tomatoes - just a small pile of green ones. This is a rinkydink market, but they still represent what’s in-season. I started to feel for Mr. APL (kinda’) and his tomato dilemma. Anyway, I made the connection, if you want to eat seasonal but can’t shop farmers markets often, do yourself a favor and go at least once a season to see what the harvest is. Plus you’re supporting California growers and helping the environment by buying local. Okay, that was my tree hugging moment. I’ll stop now.

BTW @Midlife, did you find your green tomatoes?

Happy Local / Seasonal Produce Shopping!

:corn: :tomato: :peach:

6 Likes

Sad tomato story. :frowning:

But the good news is, the markets are overflowing with tomatoes right now! Mar Vista, Santa Monica, Culver City all have good tomatoes. I have 10 pounds in my house right now, and I’ve already gorged myself on all manner of tomato food all week. :yum:

3 Likes

That’s funny :smiley:… It was actually meant to show how the farmers markets are truly seasonal where as grocery stores are not. If farmers don’t have something then we probably shouldn’t be eating it, as it’s most likely grown in an artificial environment.

Oh! Gotcha. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Ehh, for me if it’s delicious I’m still ok with it even though I try to avoid stuff from the southern hemisphere based on the emissions necessary to bring it up here. The notion of what is “artificial” and what is “natural” is just so fluid. Is a greenhouse artificial? Is regular irrigation artificial?

Now with that said, the tomatoes and stone fruit I’ve gotten the last month or so at various farmers’ markets has blown the Whole Foods versions out of the water.

1 Like

Yeah, good point, if it’s delicious then why not. I used to champion greenhouse, hot house or whatever you call it, because I could get what I wanted all year-round. But I don’t know what they’re doing now, because hardly any of it tastes delicious.

Speaking of emissions - future brides, grooms and anyone planning an event - try to go local, seasonal when selecting flowers as well.

Okay, now I’ll really stop. :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks for “tree hugging” and also some great posts. We’ll go to ours tomorrow and ‘refuel.’ Looking for a tomato like THAT ONE :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great report @TheCookie. Gotta love cali.

1 Like

Yep, gotta’ love cali.

1 Like

We loved it. I would have lost my mind at the Saturday Market, happily.

1 Like

I live literally right outside of the Little Italy Mercato.

And truth be told, it’s less Farmers Market than Swap Meet, unfortunately. It’s still quite a scene, great for people watching. Just not that great for food watching.

2 Likes

Mara des Bois strawberries from Harry’s berries. So expensive at $8 for a half pint but worth every penny. So much flavor packed in a tiny orb. #whyiliveinsocal

10 Likes

Absolutely worth it. They almost taste like artificially flavored strawberry candy, but in a good way.

1 Like

Speaking of tomatoes, Gelson’s currently has heirloom tomatoes on sale for $4/lb and it was RIDICULOUSLY good.

2 Likes

Not LA, but I recently paid $3 for one heirloom tomato. It was enormous and enormously good. With a limited season it was totally worth it.

Bummer news folks. I received these emails from Carlos.

“Hello L. I appreciate your patronage. at the same time apologize to you. I have to quit farming due to many losses. plus I lose the piece of land I used to lease for three consecutive years. thank you very much. I hope to start all over in the near future.best Regards to you. Carlos E Gonzalez.

Here is his reply when I sent him my report, to let him know how much he was appreciated.

“Thank you so much for sharing! you make me feel good. I may not Deserve all you write of me. but for sure I do appreciate from the Bottom of my Heart. I really hope to come back to you soon. Best Regards Carlos E Gonzalez.”

Don’t forget the small farmers, folks!

6 Likes

Not the farmers market, but I spotted chocolate persimmons at Mitsuwa in Mar Vista.

3 Likes

Has anyone spied Seville oranges yet?

1 Like

I would like to know this too @Bookwich.

On the other end of the spectrum (sweet & juicy) I got these ugly delicious things at Whole Foods.

Sumo Citrus (U.S. version of the Mandarin)

2 had the big bump and one didn’t, but all 3 were great. I’m usually hard on WF when it comes to their produce department (they could do better) but these were delicious.

3 Likes