Guide To Regional Chinese Cuisine in Los Angeles

Props to JThur01 for his breakthrough guide on Chinese regional dining in Los Angeles explaining further how LA has eclipsed NY for Chinese food. The Essential Guide to Regional Chinese Food in Los Angeles | First We Feast

7 Likes

Props indeed.

Nice work @JThur01.

2 Likes

good article

1 Like

Excellent article, although there is a minor error in the first section regarding “North China”. Initially, “Shanxi” is mentioned. Later on, it switches to “Shaanxi”, which is actually mentioned much later in the article.

1 Like

they are more or less next to each other in china, aren’t they?[

Good article. I will try some more of these. But I don’t understand: Where are Taiwan and Tibet? :confounded:

1 Like

Has anybody been to Xi’an Kitchen? I really liked Xi’an famous foods the two times I tried it in NYC and wondering if this place is worth a visit.

I’ve been and like it but it’s not really similar to Xi’an Famous in NYC. While there is overlap between the two places, the styles are really rather different.

One is more rustic and homey, the other in NYC is bit more refined and almost hipster-ish.

Think Tacos El Korita versus say Kogi, or maybe even Chipotle.

That would probably have started a riot among certain partisans had Taiwanese and Tibetan food been classified as Chinese regional cuisines.

1 Like

Agree. Not to mention Mongolia.

You had me at E. coli

And what of Hong Kong?

Spratlys? South China Sea? DEFCON 3, here we come…

Yes, but each province has its specialties. Shanxi, for example, is famous for its aged vinegar–excellent stuff. Shaanxi is not. For comparison, Texas and Louisiana are next to each other, but their cuisines are totally different.

Thanks chandavkl, ipse, Barry.

D’oh…absolutely right ray. I was so concerned about making that error that somehow I did anyway! (I’ll blame spell check and/or autocorrect). I’ve contacted the editor and hopefully he will make the corrections.

1 Like

chandavkl, that is exactly why I didn’t include Taiwan and Tibet. I’m surprised the one guy that complains so loudly didn’t complain about me not including it. It’s truly a damned if you do, damned if you don’t. And while I like Tibet Nepal House in Pasadena, it’s much more Nepalese.

I like Xi’an Kitchen. I think Shaanxi Gourmet does most items slightly (only slightly) better, but I prefer the biang biang noodles at Xi’an Kitchen.

ipse’s right about the differences. Originally that was a bit more pointed to NYers who say: “Yeah, but does LA have anything like Xi’an Famous?” The real comeback is either: “Yeah, we have something better and more authentic” or “No, we have something better and more authentic.” Take your pick :smile:

i suppose they live within china’s boundaries, but now that i think about it, i would hesitate to classify mongolians or tibetans as ethnic chinese. it makes me think of cuban friends who are genetically black (or WTPCPTI) but culturally cuban. most people from spanish speaking countries do not embrace them as being latino/hispanic (or again WTPCTI) and tend to ostracize them.

(WTPCTI - whatever the politically correct term is)

HK cuisine has traditionally typically been 95% cantonese anyway, with the caveat of emphasis on local (& fresh) ingredients, which makes HK cuisine impossible to duplicate outside HK. i would classify a HK style restaurant as emulating those standards but relying on local ingredients which would result in different dishes but mainly cantonese styled in terms of approach and techniques, which is a nice segue to what’s served at HK cafes being the flip side of americanized cantonese.- cantonesed western dishes.

personally, i’d include taiwan as being ethnically chinese though the native taiwanese may still want to maintain their sense of purity about it. i struggle to define what makes something identifiable as taiwanese in terms of characteristics. one thing i’ve noticed is that portions tend to be smaller, but more intensely flavored. this lends itself to snacking throughout the day.

1 Like

If it ever would come to something on the food of Quemoy and Matsu, I’d simply throw my hands up and walk away.

1 Like