Gwen (Stone's meat restaurant)

Yes, we had dinner at Gwen a couple of weeks ago and the bread and butter was memorably good. Actually, every single thing we had was really good; all hits and no misses. House made charcuterie was creative, rich and tasty, salad was excellent, can’t go wrong with duck fat fries and the Wagyu NY steak was delectable. Even the Chocolate Whisky cake impressed me, and I largely lost my sweet tooth decades ago. If we lived closer we’d definitely go there more frequently.

2 Likes

We decided to go a second time because it got the Michelin star. We went many years ago. I think it’s a good restaurant. All the dishes were good. I’d eat there any time. No complaints. But nothing too special. Really safe food. (The reason we hadn’t gone back is Peony thinks it’s too boring.) The chef’s other restaurant Maude is in a different league. 6.4 Warrior Points.

1 Like

Have to disagree. Been there twice in the last few months. I would not have done it, but circumstances prevailed - my wife loved it. Both times the steaks we ordered , one was a strip and the other a dry aged ribeye were gristly and not that tasty. I can make a much better steak at home for a fraction of the price - here is a flatiron with fries and roasted broccoli…

Not a great picture but a much better meal.

3 Likes

Yeesh that plating is Wednesday night dinner level and the food does not look particularly tasty

1 Like

This thread revival reminded me that our dear friends took us for a very nice dinner at Gwen Restaurant & Butcher Shop a while back.

We were early so we sat at the bar and watched the mixologist whip up an old-fashioned for hubs. What is that tool on top of the ice?

My husband is the Goldilocks of the old-fashioned cocktail, especially when it comes to the size & amount of the ice. This cube was “too big”.

Sorry, a couple of the dishes we had are off the current menu possibly to return as the seasons change.

Stecca Bread… It’s free!

Don’t think I’ve had Stecca Bread before. It’s like the outside is fried but it’s not - oily, salty & crunchy outside & yeasty inside. They bake it in one of the flaming contraptions used to fire up the meat. So good! :hearts:

Charcuterie - Cured Salami, Whole Muscles & Spreads, Pickled Things

I only had a small taste of everything as it’s very rich. Loved the spread & pâté. Highlight.

Melon & Burrata w/Grilled Onion, Watermelon Vinegar, Sunflower Seeds

Banana Prawns - Harissa, Roasted Garlic Purée, Snap Peas

The prawns were my order and favorite bite! Perfectly cooked, w/roasted garlic purée for dipping. The fat, harissa, spices & lime seeped into the heads and made for some goood eating! :heart::blush::heart:

Knives Out

Creekstone Farm 30-day Dry-aged Ribeye

Jus

Hubs and our companions really enjoyed their smokey, charred, crispy, fatty, beefy, ribeye. I sliced off a bite of the crispy, salty, fat and a little meat. :blush:

Mango Cheesecake & “Cheeky” Dessert Liqueur

Deconstructed was not what I expected when a mango cheesecake was ordered. It’s light, creamy, tart, sweet, textured, Yum. :hearts: If anyone knows about this drink called “Cheeky” I’d like to hear about it. I can’t find anything.

Hubs had the old-fashioned. I had wines by the glass…

My girlfriend had a glass of J. Lassalle, “Cachet d’Or” Premier Cru Brut

The menus from our dinner…

Thankfully we Uber-ed as we were quite satiated. :hearts:

14 Likes

Maybe this?

1 Like

ice cube branding stamp?

1 Like

I saw that one in my search but the one we had was brown & syrupy. IIRC it did have herbal notes like gin though. :thinking: If I remember I’ll call them for more details.

Good guess @PorkyBelly. Thanks.

1 Like

Warrior: The best dish tonight was the cauliflower, which had a delicious herbal seasoning. I’m not much into beef, but the steak was good. Duck fat potatoes and complimentary bread and butter were excellent. Fig and pear with doufu hua was good. Delicata squash was a dud. Cherry sorbet with black pepper was surprisingly effective. Good wine list. 6.5 Warrior Points.

Peony: High quality food and a pleasant meal. I like how tender and juicy the steak is. Really beautiful natural flavor. Interesting meat collection in the front of the shop for meat lovers.

Peony says their lighting doesn’t make for very Instagrammable photos. No question, interior design begins and ends with lighting.

2 Likes