How would you tip in this situation

@TheCookie The only situation I would leave less than 20% is a snooty or patronizing server that’s not even able to check back if you need anything. It cracks me up, especially at gastopubs or their ilk. You’re selling expensive burgers and fish and chips. Get over yourself. :slight_smile:

Everything else, I pretty much shrug off.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

Sort of on topic, but may also warrant its own thread, KCRW has put out a series of pieces about abuse in LA’s restaurant industry called Burned. Here’s a lil background/info on it too.

1 Like

From the Blue Hill at Stone Farms website:

A note on tipping: we recently did away with the practice of tipping ensuring that our entire team is compensated more equitably. Instead, a 20% administrative fee will be added to your bill. This fee is not a gratuity nor is it distributed to the service staff.

I have no idea what to make of that.

I think it means that no employees get tipped. Instead, the 20% fee goes into their (minimum wage or greater) salaries.

1 Like

Okay, because to me it reads that I’m meant to tip, as the service charge “is not distributed to service staff.”

I don’t think they want you to pay a 20% fee and then another 20% tip. At least, I hope not. Because I sure as hell would not.

A note on tipping: we recently did away with the practice of tipping ensuring that our entire team is compensated more equitably. Instead, a 20% administrative fee will be added to your bill. This fee is not a gratuity nor is it distributed to the service staff.

They very clearly said they did away with tipping. Why do you think you should still tip?

2 Likes

Because the service staff doesn’t get any of it.

Sure they do. It’s just not distributed to them directly.

Service charges are almost universal in Europe. I don’t know why Americans are so fixated on this bizarre tradition of tipping.

1 Like

There’s no tip, but it’s probably given to them in other ways, such as higher wages, better benefits, etc. Like practically every other country out there except the US…! :wink:

1 Like

Should have read ahead… LOL

I might tip the bartender a dollar. Heck, they sold a $10 beer while you were waiting.

I would tip the livestock on the way out.

2 Likes

Avoiding tipping messes: Another thing the Japanese got right.

2 Likes

I tip very well. I get the best service., it’s pretty basic . Why is it such a problem now for people to tip . Put the shoe on the other foot . I go out to relax and to be served. Sure I make great food at home but sometimes I want to be waited on… If you’re not even in to tipping the help. Stay home and wait on yourself and cook yourself.

Because if the waiter would be better paid you would get great service without playing around with tips. You don’t have to tip in Europe and get nearly everywhere better and more knowledgable service than in the US (and the food is actually cheaper)

It is not a problem, per se. It’s the inconsistency in the way in which service charges are levied by different restaurants. I know what to tip a concierge or valet or hairdresser. I’m fine with a restaurant service charge and I’m fine with tipping. The vagueness of the statement I posted above is the problem. I wonder if tip lines included on the Blue Hill cc printout, if so… wtf? I just want to drink wine and chat with friends, not try to figure out the vague language on a menu about service charges.

But it’s not vague. They literally said “we did away with tipping.” They didn’t say, “We did away with tipping, but if you feel like it, you’re more than welcome to give your server a little something extra”. They made it pretty clear.

I think I’d ask the server. ???

Several of the restaurants I go to regularly took the tip line off the credit-card signature printout when they switched to a service charge.