Il Romanista Pizza (El Segundo)

Tucked away in the cul de sac of restaurants and service shops that seem to exist only to cater to the neighboring businesses and Los Angeles Lakers HQ is il Romanista - the first Roman-style pizzeria in Los Angeles (according to their website).

Others will be better able to speak to how the authenticity compares to the originals back on the Boot, but I was pleasantly surprised with what I had. Really nice, deep flavors and good crunch. They were a bit greasy, but if you let 'em cool down, the flavors of the grease seep in and make 'em better.

The hours are strange because of their location, but I think they’d be a fine stop if you have some time to kill around LAX.

Unfortunately my pictures are bunk, but here’s what we tried:

Left - PALATINO (mozz/provolone/two types of mushroom)
Right - I can’t find this one on their menu, but it had sausage and ham, I believe. I am kicking myself for not remembering because I think this was my favorite.

Left - CURVA SUD (mozz/potato/sausage/rosemary)

829 North Douglas St.
El Segundo, CA 90245
(310) 616-3111

Monday-Friday: 9:30am to 7:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am to 3:00pm
Sunday: Closed

oh what the hell… i was gearing up to open the first…

And Airport police always seem to be at the starbucks or bagel place. I’ve seen the pizza place but never been in. Thanks for the review, will have to check it out

He might have been inspired by Bonci, which I think is the place that first started doing long fermentation.

There’s another Roman-style pizza, the individual thin-crust, wood oven whole pies served at dinnertime.

Not to mention pizza bianca, which is sort of Rome’s answer to focaccia.

Looks like Baronie’s

This place is pretty godddamn delicious. The crust on the pizza here is thin and crisp – much closer to the Roman-style pizza I’ve tried before than Eataly’s thick-crust version.

I ordered a potato and sausage slice, a veggie slice with zucchini and ricotta, and a salami slice. All were excellent though the potato and sausage was the standout.

Only downer is the parking, which was kind of a PITA at lunchtime.

This looks much more like what I’ve had in Rome. They cut it and weigh it in Rome. Looks good!

Oh hell yeah.

Their website says that they may do this at some point in the future. For now, it’s all pre-cut slices.

I have been 3 times now and really love the crust I’ve had the pizza ripiena with prosciutto cotto - a sandwich with a thin pizza for the bread. The Curva Sud with potato rosemary and sausage which was really nice. Bandiera a zucchini spinach fresh mozzarella and the Casio y peppe which was a bit on the salty side. Definitely worth checking out if you are LAX adjacent.

• Maple bar at Randy’s Doughnuts for the bang bang